Christening Attire

Mr.Wonder

What should a man wear to his daughters Christening? Whats the norm now, suit or jeans and a shirt?

Hi Mr. Wonder,

Just went to christening last Sun (i was godfather to sister child). I wore suit - shirt, tie etc but in hindsight may have been overdressed. The father himself wore shirt and tie however 2 other children where also been christained and their fathers just wore jeans and top. In fact one of them had a hoodie. I personally felt these other parties could have made more of effort but hey everyone is entitled to wear what they see fit.

hiya,
on a similar topic. I'm going to the christening of a friends baby this weekend. What's the tradition in realtion to presents.. do I get one for the child?, the mother? the family? or is it normal to give a christening present at all?
Cheers,

Gnash

Hi Gnashers,

From what I could see from christening I attended at the w/e, most friends gave card and small present for the baby only. If anything child received too much as stated by my sister.

The 'traditional' present (for the child) is meant to be 'something they'll always have', which has created a big market for all sorts of silver-plated rubbish — hairbrushes, icky photoframes, little pillboxes to store that precious first lock of hair, etc. I find them fairly hackneyed — along the lines of those First Holy Communion medals which disappear into a drawer for ever — but my wife and her family can't get enough of them!

Each to his/her own; presumably you know the parents well and can judge whether they'd appreciate something less conventional?

[Edit: likewise for the 'correct' attire. Personally I'd go for a suit & tie, but that's only because I almost never wear one, so it's a bit of a novelty... :p]

I think wear a suit. I was Godmother recently and the Father & Godfathers wore at least shirt & tie.

IMHO those keepsake presents are pretty naff. I did see my Goddaughter got a lovely personalized book - including her name, brothers & sisters, where she was born etc. I thought that was a lovely idea. Not sure where it was from but I'd say you could find them online. Also she got lots of clothes.

When my daughter was christened last year, a friend gave her an apple tree. I thought it was a brilliant idea, as it will grow with her and not be stuck in a box on top of the wardrobe like most of her presents! I would agree with Dr.Moriarty - a lot of well-meaning people (who shall be nameless due to risk of assassination) gave us a lot of silver-plated tat. Also, I would have strangled my husband had he appeared in jeans instead of a suit for his girl's big day!

I think a suit is best for a christening or at the very least a smart pair of jeans and a good shirt. It is deffo an occasion that you would need to dress up.

As a present, perhaps you should look for something that will grow in value with the child. A piece of art work or a first edition of a book?

I wore a suit for my daughter's christening last year and didn't feel out of place- in fact I thought I looked very well in my suit! One of the nicer gifts that my daughter received was a rose shrub- it blossomed later that year and hopefully will do the honours this year also. I agree about all the tat that you tend to get also, but you can't offend people either. I think Brodiebabe's idea of artwork is a nice idea- probably more on the exoensive side but for a godchild maybe?

Thanks for all the advice, I agree with you all about the silver tat so I'll try to avoid that. I really like the idea of a tree/ rosebush but the parents aren't the most green fingered so I'll have to keep thinking.

Thanks for all the replies. Suit it is. Sure whats the worst can happen, I am the sharpest dressed father there? Or maybe the sharpest dressed father with a milky puke on his fancy suit!!!!!!!!!

I would wear a suit but you have to take into acconut what the rest of your and your wifes family are like - ours do dress up and make an effort for anything even dinner in each other's houses.

On the present side of things I heard of a great one recently - someone bought a first edition copy of Ulysses (not 1st print run - but still limited availability) to be presented to the child on 21st birthday.

Do the churches not provide guidance on important stuff like this or just the trivial stuff like the spiritual aspects of these events?

Do the churches not provide guidance on important stuff like this or just the trivial stuff like the spiritual aspects of these events?

sarcastic eh ;-)

I would go with the suit otion if you alraedy own a suit. If not a smart pair of trousers,shirt and tie at the very least. It's nice to make an effort on the day as the christening of your child is an important occasion for any parent and looking your best always helps!

Well don't some parish authorities provide guidelines on whether kids should wear posh clothes or some generic gown for their Communion/Confirmation? I just thought that they might also provide similar guidelines for other sacraments.

2 Christenings as Dad in the last 4 years, trousers and a casual shirt no tie. Suits are for monday to friday (or a court appearance!!).

I have been at numerous family christenings in the last 4 years also and in all cases the Dad wore a suit or shirt/tie in the summer. Everyone has their own preferences but a suit always makes the occasion seem more special IMO!
I am sure if you did ask your local priest for guidance on the matter he would definately know the most common attire worn (as suggested by Clubman!) but as this is usually a close family affair it is generally whatever a particular family feel comfortable with and there are no hard and fast rules.

At my sisters babys christening, everyone dressed up a bit, but not much.
My sulky student brother was blackmailed into black jeans and a black shirt
for the occasion by my mother, and he was mistaken for the new curate by
half the parish !

Back