Chimney Removal

Sophrosyne

A long-time friend of a relative of mine is living in a semi-detached house where the next-door neighbours are carrying out extensive renovations.

He thinks that they are removing the chimney – shared stack- on a party wall.

He could hear what sounded like lump hammering and drilling behind his fireplace for the past few days. The noise was ear-splitting.

He is afraid to use his gas fire.

Does anyone know whether he might have cause for concern?

Well, of course, I’m hearing this third hand. I don’t know what the situation is between the neighbours.

However, the reason I posted the enquiry was that years ago I wanted to install wall lighting in the main bedroom.

Under no circumstances would my electrician drill into the chimney breast. I had to get a sheet of wood, have it painted the same colour as the wall & he drilled into that instead.

He explained to me that drilling would damage the chimney but it is that long ago, I can’t remember exactly what he said.

Hence my concerns about the hammering and drilling behind the person’s fireplace.

There is cause for concern if it is not done correctly. They could ask or check plans in the planning permission (not 100% sure it would be included).

I removed my chimney breast downstairs and put in a steel beam to support the remaining stack.

Planning isn't required to remove a chimney breast internally, but if the overall works are extensive enough to have required planning then the attached details and drawings would likely include such detail. As above, it's very important that the remaining half of a shared stack is correctly supported. Any half-competent builder would know this and plan accordingly as both properties would be badly damaged in the event of a failure.

Approaching the builder and neighbour and asking reasonably is often the best approach assuming the neighbours haven't already fallen out.

We are currently going through this ourselves at the minute.
It would be polite of neighbours too inform them of upcoming work.
The builders would normally brace the remaining chimney Stack with steal support beams which should be checked and possibly certified by an engineer as it’s sumtimes structural work been carried out.

Its common enough these days as people remove chimneys to improve Heating and BER ratings etc. The important park as outlined above is that the Steel bracing of the chimney stack is signed off by an engineer.

Back