Childrens Tax Credits - a jurisdiction query

bijou

Hello

Apologies if this is in the wrong section.

Can any body advise if the UK Inland Revenue has any jurisdiction here in Ireland? I am being chased for alleged overpayments in Childrens Tax Credits from before we moved over here back in 2005 by the Inland Revenue which I am strongly disputing. They are threatening to refer the "debt" to the Irish Authorities. Do they have any jurisdiction here?

Has anybody else had anything like this happen to them? Can anybody advise at all?

Thanks
bijou

I am not trying to escape anything! I am disputing it - if I am proved to owe money I will pay - I am simply asking what, if any jurisdiction there is?

You are disputing the UK tax authority's right to refer such matters to the Irish Revenue or you are disputing the alleged tax liability or both? I would have imagined that it would be clear cut whether or not specific tax credits were overpaid and you had a liability to settle them? On the jurisdictional issue I presume that you need to talk to a tax advisor with knowledge of the tax codes in both jurisdictions. I've never heard of such "debts" being passed between tax authorities in different jurisdictions but that does not mean that it's not possible and I am no tax expert.

I had a similar situation - but I was not disputing the amounts - I did owe them the money back.

After receiving several letters, and phone calls (they are very persistant) I paid over what I owed - just had a cashflow problem at the time and needed to delay payment.

I don't know about their jurisdiction here - but I did not want to test this out!!

Clubman & Domo - thank you for your comments. I am very certain that we owe them nothing I can find no record of these so called overpayments. it has actually taken them just under 2 years to write to me about this alleged overpayment and the fact they are threatening me with the irish authorities has, I suppose, wound me up a bit.
Thanks again
bijou

UK Inland Revenue have no tax collecting powers here, nor can they instruct a foreign revenue service to collect taxes for them.

However, you refer to the "Irish authorities" in your post. I would take this to mean the police. They could follow certain channels and have a person extradited if a criminal offence is to be answered back in the UK. If that's what they meant - better off paying up.

But to answer your first question - do the UK inland revenue have any jurisdiction here? No. Nor do they have any in France, Latvia, Belgium etc etc.

Although there may be contact between the two services from time to time on various issues like smuggling etc.

Contact an AITI Tax Consultant, or a solicitor.

Last edited:
UK Inland Revenue have no tax collecting powers here, nor can they instruct a foreign revenue service to collect taxes for them.

However, you refer to the "Irish authorities" in your post. I would take this to mean the police. They could follow certain channels and have a person extradited if a criminal offence is to be answered back in the UK. If that's what they meant - better off paying up.

But to answer your first question - do the UK inland revenue have any jurisdiction here? No. Nor do they have any in France, Latvia, Belgium etc etc.

Although there may be contact between the two services from time to time on various issues like smuggling etc.

Contact an AITI Tax Consultant, or a solicitor.
Kendr - thanks for that
Apologies, their correspondance actually states the "Irish Tax Authorities". As mentioned previously tho, if it is proved that we owe them money we will of course pay, we are in no way trying to avoid anything - the matter they refer to relate to the tax years 2003-2004 and 2004-2005 the initial contact from them regarding this was back in Nov05 which we disputed. after filling in all the forms they provided us with to chase this dispute we never heard a thing back till may this year.
I appreciate your comments and we will try and speak to a consultant / solicitor
bijou

Just a point on hw the Children's tax credit is calculated, and how an overpayment can arise -

The UK Revenue estimate your income (based on information provided by you), and on this basis calculate the CTC due to you and they pay this. However, if your circumstances change, e.g. you earn more that initially thought, the CTC chould then be reduced (retrospectively).

It does thake time for them to re-calculate the CTC paid, and if any has been overpaid, and then request the money back.

In my case, was unemployed for a while, so got full CTC, but when I got a job shortly after, my salary was over the limit to receive CTC, and had to repay the CTC already received.

It is a bit of a nightmare, and can cause hardship when they come to collect the overpaid amounts. Ask them for their calculations - they will send them to you, and it is based on your income in each tax year.

Back