Child Benefit

My understanding is that the CB cannot be means tested as the payment is for the child and the child being means tested is not viable. As regards taxation, I believe this is the option being considered and discussed. Universally cutting the CB payment would be political suicide as mentioned earlier, but is the most practical method of reducing the cost.

would much prefer to see schools books and uniforms free rather than GP. Everyone has to go to school but because of our "free" education its expensive. Maybe if the books were funded by the schools/govt, there'd be lot less new editions, new improved books, workbooks, etc. we had to get the New Improved Atlas this year and a particular brand of pen and colouring pencils ......wtf. the old ones wouldn't do - I tried to get away with different options but teacher through such a fit at my son I gave in, wasn't fair on my son.

You might prefer free uniforms and school books but if you do refuse these it is not going to effect your kids health. If you kid does not have a uniform it is a problem with the school but 'not life threatening' which can be the case if you don't get medical attention for a child. Therefore free gp is much more important. I have 3 children and so far this year I have spent over €1200 on gp visits and every month our pharmacy bill is €100. School is only a minor expense compared to this!

Back