Cheapest Electricity Supplier

I'd love to know how they select certain customers for the big discounts !

We use about 7000 kwh per year, so heavy users as national average is 4,000 kwh/ year, no arrears and bills paid by DD and yet the best discount they offered me to retain my business was 8%!

I've just switched to SSE Airtricity and will check my Bord Gais account over the next 14 days cooling off period to see will a big discount offer appear on my account.

I never got a better offer from Bord Gais than the 8% discount referred to above so I'm still with SSE Airtricity whose rates are as follows , for the benefit of anyone thinking of switching to them.

I have a Smart meter but am sticking with a 24 hr tariff.

20% discount on standard rates for switching to SSE so 38.6 c/kwh

Further 12% reduction from November 1st so reduces to 33.968 c/kwh

Above includes VAT as does the standing charge of €240.97

I am with BGE an my contract expired a few days ago. I cant see any offer to resign, I got an email with a link to "Plans" but that just brings me into the home page. It doesn't seem like there is even an option to sign up at the fixed rate.

Did I miss out by leaving my contract expire?

Did I miss out by leaving my contract expire?
No.
The same happened me. You need to log into your account to see the offer, it took me a few attempts to find it.
They don't offer a fixed rate. Currently their default is 15% discount from their variable rates. Note, their baseline variable rate is also reducing by 15% in November.

No.
The same happened me. You need to log into your account to see the offer, it took me a few attempts to find it.
They don't offer a fixed rate. Currently their default is 15% discount from their variable rates. Note, their baseline variable rate is also reducing by 15% in November.

Spoke to them today and they offered 15%. Sorry by fixed I meant 0% discount. Looks like SSE is the best value for me.

Perhaps off topic but
Looking on the SSE website it shows the Urban Nightsaver as cheaper than the Urban Smart. Both day and night rates are more expensive for smart (but the standing charge is cheaper).

Why would anyone switch?!

I am with Energia for day/ night electricity tariff, they offered 15 % retention discount, so i switched providers, Energia rang me back within 24 hours, of me switching. and upped the retention discount to 20 %, i said i need more, so they added a €50 one off account credit, which i accepted, they also backdated the 20 % discount, to when my contract ended with them 4 weeks ago.

After 20% retention discount, rates including vat are :
Day 36.10
Night 17.32
Effective, October 3rd, so includes recent Energia price cut.

Standing Charge € 296.40 inc vat.

This worked out, at just over €200 per annum less, based on my annual day/night usage than :
1)SSE Airtricity after their 12% price reduction in November + 20 % online discount ,is taken into account,

2)and a similar saving against Bord Gais with 15 % off and the November price reductions considered.

Last edited:
Seems like those big Bord Gais discounts of 30% plus are over ... interesting theory elsewhere on social media it was a once off move to retain a chunk of 'One Big Switch' movers. Their discounts offered now seem to have stabilised at 15% and there's unit price reductions from November.

Yeah - they don't seem cheap to me and - like others - still come nowhere near the Flogas "community" fixed electricity tariff.
Hi Clubman - Have you received your first bill from Flogas yet? Was the unit price as expected?

I signed up on Aug 21st with a rate of €0.2751/kWh, but my first invoice shows the unit price as €0.3051.

Hi Clubman - Have you received your first bill from Flogas yet? Was the unit price as expected?

I signed up on Aug 21st with a rate of €0.2751/kWh, but my first invoice shows the unit price as €0.3051.
I see €0.2751 ex vat on my bill...as expected

Did a few calcs there, on day/night, for the year to September 6th 2023, my average unit rate including vat, was 19cent, for the year ahead it will be 26 cent

I haven't received a bill from them yet.
Received my first bill today and the standing charge and unit rates are as expected (ex VAT):
  • Standing charge: 76.14c
  • Day unit rate: 30.62c
  • Night unit rate: 13.53c

Hopefully others will follow suit.

The devil is in the detail.

This is a "discounted" rate and applies for 12 months. If you do not change or renegotiate after 12 month you automatically go onto their standard plan with is currently 39c a unit. (24 hr urban) which is not outrageous in the current climate

So in reality 3c a unit cheaper than the electric Ireland new rates after EI 5.5% disc. and about the same as energia as you can get 10% (or 15%) off their rates for switching. But aside from that it brings more news of reductions and hopefully puts pressure on others to reduce further

The devil is in the detail.

This is a "discounted" rate and applies for 12 months. If you do not change or renegotiate after 12 month you automatically go onto their standard plan with is currently 39c a unit. (24 hr urban) which is not outrageous in the current climate

So in reality 3c a unit cheaper than the electric Ireland new rates after EI 5.5% disc. and about the same as energia as you can get 10% (or 15%) off their rates for switching. But aside from that it brings more news of reductions and hopefully puts pressure on others to reduce further

Yes the devil is indeed in the detail. Aside from high unit rates at the moment the second issue is the lack of incentives such as cash back for switching providers.

You also wonder why Yuno have dropped prices within 6 weeks of entering the market. Maybe they are still a good bit off their number of sign up targets or is this all part of their planned entry.

Hopefully it will put pressure on others as you say.

Are there any price reductions that have been announced by suppliers that have yet to come into effect. I am considering switching to Yuno with a unit rate of 30.60cent/kWh and an annual standing charge of €242.87 Annually. Both figures exclude VAT.

Are there any price reductions that have been announced by suppliers that have yet to come into effect.
I know Bord Gais 15% reduction doesn't take effect until 9th November. But even coupled with the 15% discount for signing up to a contract I think it's still higher than the Yuno rate (the including / excluding VAT was confusing me).

I know Bord Gais 15% reduction doesn't take effect until 9th November. But even coupled with the 15% discount for signing up to a contract I think it's still higher than the Yuno rate (the including / excluding VAT was confusing me).
Thanks for that. I

Thanks for that. I have shown both Ex VAT and Inc VAT prices below for Yuno.. It may be useful to others.
24hr UrbanEx VATInc VAT
24Hr Unit Rate30.60cent/kWh33.35 cent/kWh
Urban Standing Charge€242.87 Annually€264.73 Annually

Cash incentives for switching are usually provided to mask poor overall value.

It depends on your usage. A high cash incentive can be the best deal for you if your usage is low. It's important to look at the 3 factors in any deal of cashback, unit rate and standing charge.

Back