Cheapest Electricity Supplier

I signed up on Wednesday and received an automated acknowledgement email from [email protected] almost immediately. Are you sure that you entered your email address correctly and that the email isn't in your junk/quarantine folder?
I also received the DD mandate confirmation letter in the post this morning.

Hi,

Just signed up for this too.

We're pretty heavy users - lots of teenagers - and the 10c per unit is a huge difference.

Thanks to @fayf and others for the info.

What did the Ts&Cs say? Insights isn't the name of a plan per say, just their terminology for providing detailed usage information. You don't need to be on a smart plan to see that information. You can get that by signing up on the ESB Networks site.

If you have indeed signed up to a smart plan then yes, you are now limited to smart plans, this policy is set by the regulator and not the providers.

I think this has also happened to me and nobody explained it either. I got a smart meter and signed up for the Flogas Community Plan. I then got an email saying the plan was not suitable for my meter. I wasnt offered Insights however I did sign up with ESB Networks but never linked the new MPRN. I assumed this was just to view activity on my new meter. Flogas said my meter had been 'activated for smart plans' however ESB Networks said there was no way the engineer installing it could have done that and that I had no obligation to sign up for a smart plan. Again 'Insights' was not mentioned at all (is this the ESB Networks activity?) So I'm now in limbo between the two and no idea what to do. Flogas offered me a one year smart electricity plan which I refused as I know I will be stuck on smart plans forever more. No idea what to do, I am so sorry I allowed them to install a smart meter.

From discussions on boards, it appears that a number of EI customers who signed up for "insights" on their power usage had their smart meters switched "on", something they only found out when trying to avail of a non-smart offer such as Flogas community.

From discussions on boards, it appears that a number of EI customers who signed up for "insights" on their power usage had their smart meters switched "on", something they only found out when trying to avail of a non-smart offer such as Flogas community.

Have you a link?

Signing up for access to your data on ESB Networks does not alter your plan in any way.

Are Flogas your current provider? If so, they are the only ones who could have triggered that activation.
Thanks yes Flogas are my current provider and are swearing blind it was not them who activated it but rather ESB Networks who said there was no way they could do this...

Have you a link?

Some posters say that EI are promoting their App to read usage data (presumably the same data that can be accessed directly from ESB Networks) and that when you do so your smart meter is automatically changed to "activated". Mentioned in this thread:

Some posters say that EI are promoting their App to read usage data (presumably the same data that can be accessed directly from ESB Networks) and that when you do so your smart meter is automatically changed to "activated". Mentioned in this thread:
Are they signing up via an Electric Ireland link or going directly to ESB Networks?

I signed up directly on the ESB Networks portal to view my usage and it did not change my meter configuration code.

It appears that the Flogas community offer webpages have been withdrawn - 404 errors on the weblinks I'd saved (and posted here).

It appears that the Flogas community offer webpages have been withdrawn - 404 errors on the weblinks I'd saved (and posted here).
I was just going to sign up this afternoon!

Any ideas for the best (smart) electricity rate and gas rate now? (Unfort I was switched to the smart electricity rate without knowing I couldn't switch back)

If I were you I would ring flogas and enquire about dual plans. They might sell you the deal over the phone still.

Flogas weren't selling these deals over the phone.
The electricity offer was for non-smart plans only, there was no offer for smart plans other than what's on their website. People with activated smart meters who tried to sign up were advised that they couldn't.

Check the link in Early Riser's post to the boards.ie discussion. It contains some working links to Flogas offers and other information

Anybody got a fresh link for the Flogas Community electricity price plan ? I'm getting an" Error 406 " thingamajib when I click on the link supplied by ye previously. To be fair I availed of it at the time and told my friends about it , but they have no access to it now. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Anybody got a fresh link for the Flogas Community electricity price plan ? I'm getting an" Error 406 " thingamajib when I click on the link supplied by ye previously. To be fair I availed of it at the time and told my friends about it , but they have no access to it now. Thanks in advance.
No. See @gipimann's earlier post.
Maybe check the boards.ie thread linked here:

New entrant to the market:

I've just ran their figures (rural day/night) against my annual consumption and unit rates and, much to my surprise, my current Energia deal is 19% cheaper. o_O (And that excludes the €50 discount that I got for staying with Energia).

So caveat emptor!

Back