Cheapest Electricity Supplier

Make sure you change the default answer for 'Only show tariffs available for sign up?' to 'No'. Leaving that as 'Yes' only shows the plans they earn commission on, but as per Regulator rules, they have to provide an option to see all publicly available tariffs.
Even with that option set to "no" it doesn't show the Flogas community plan:

Sue Ellen,
I've been a customer for several years, and up until last year I'd have said their customer service was second to none.
I had a few issues in the past year as did a friend, and we found customer service had slipped a bit in dealing with the issues:
- I had an issue with missing credit when I re-signed for electricity.
- my gas DD mandate was cancelled by Flogas for no reason, and I ended up in arrears
- my friend moved house and was in credit with electricity. He got 3 final bills for his previous address, all different, and had to contact Flogas several times as his credit didn't carry over to his new address. Promises to sort it didn't work out for some months.

Despite all that, I would consider staying with them as their rates are the best value I can find for my usage.

Make sure you change the default answer for 'Only show tariffs available for sign up?' to 'No'. Leaving that as 'Yes' only shows the plans they earn commission on, but as per Regulator rules, they have to provide an option to see all publicly available tariffs.
Interesting, thanks.

Thanks a million for posting the link to Flogas Electricity Community Rate. No mention of it on bonkers etc. Its slightly dearer than waterpower but I note waterpowers prices go up historically in winter when elec usage will be higher.

Despite all that, I would consider staying with them as their rates are the best value I can find for my usage

Thanks for reply gipimann.

Yes the reviews in general did refer to higher than usual bills along with a failure to get the queries sorted. Long waits on phones and problems not being sorted. Pity they can't get their act together as the rate does seem cheap.

Thanks for reply gipimann.

Yes the reviews in general did refer to higher than usual bills along with a failure to get the queries sorted. Long waits on phones and problems not being sorted. Pity they can't get their act together as the rate does seem cheap.
How often in the last ten years have you had to call your electricity company?

Flogas customer charter gives you a credit of €30 for billing mistakes and they respond to email within a couple of days. I'd be delighted if they racked up a few errors.

How often in the last ten years have you had to call your electricity company?

I would ring them at least once a year coming up to end of contract and during the year for miscellaneous queries that I might have about our usage or bills.

I usually go between Electric Ireland and Bord Gais on a yearly basis and have found Electric Ireland to be the most efficient.

Flogas customer charter gives you a credit of €30 for billing mistakes and they respond to email within a couple of days. I'd be delighted if they racked up a few errors.

Looking at this they must be paying out quite a few €30.

I had a Flogas issue when i signed up last September for gas, standing charge was incorrect on 1st bill, so i rang customer service twice, then a few emails, that showed what i signed up to + actual 1st bill, no response, that fixed the issue.

Then I rang sales, they saw rate was wrong, said they would send for correction, and confirmed they would credit me with €30 for their error, per their customer charter, problem was resolved.

So while service is poor and system is archaic, doesent really matter to me if i am saving hundreads per year

As a follow up to my earlier post, I received my gas bill yesterday. My previous bill was marked "direct debit", but for some reason Flogas deleted the mandate which I didn't know until I received an arrears letter.
After talking to credit control, I was asked to fill out a new mandate, which I did, and my bill was paid
Yesterday's bill shows a payment method of "cash" - so my mandate has gone missing again, it seems!
I wonder if this cheap gas is worth the bother!
@fayf , thanks for the tip on the €30 - I couldn't see it on their customer charter.

They sound like a nightmare.

I thought Bord Gais were bad enough so will have to crunch the numbers again and see if it would be worthwhile.

What is the average wait time on their phone calls?

I got straight through about 30 mins ago, no delays at all.
Flogas have a note on my account to say that "customer cancelled direct debit instructions" at the end of July. I didn't. I was told the same in June, so it appears there's a glitch in their billing system.
Customer service rep took my IBAN details over the phone and said she'd pass the case to their banking area.
I've never had this sort of issue with any service provider before

Having signed up for the Flogas "community" electricity plan I just received a text from Electric Ireland (my current supplier) linking to this:
Anybody know what they mean by "you could incur a penalty and an exit fee"?
I fully expected to pay the €50 contract breakage fee but not anything else.
I've emailed them to clarify but just wondered if anybody here knew.

Last edited:
I recall that suppliers who offered cashback incentives (remember those!) reserved the right to claw back the incentive if a customer broke the contract, in addition to the €50 exit fee. Perhaps this is what they meant?

I recall that suppliers who offered cashback incentives (remember those!) reserved the right to claw back the incentive if a customer broke the contract, in addition to the €50 exit fee. Perhaps this is what they meant?
Ah - good point - thanks!
I think I rolled over/re-signed up from my previous contract so I don't think that such a clawback applies.
But I'll double check with EI to clarify the precise charges that apply in my case.

As a follow up to my earlier post, I received my gas bill yesterday. My previous bill was marked "direct debit", but for some reason Flogas deleted the mandate which I didn't know until I received an arrears letter.
After talking to credit control, I was asked to fill out a new mandate, which I did, and my bill was paid
Yesterday's bill shows a payment method of "cash" - so my mandate has gone missing again, it seems!
@fayf , thanks for the tip on the €30 - I couldn't see it on their customer charter.
The only provider I ever managed to get the €30 out of was ESB. After they had ignored my query on an increase calculation for months. I had a query with Airtricity regarding why it took them 6 months to apply welcome credit and also a delayed application of gov. Credit. They kept closing the query and claiming it was resolved while never addressing the query. I broke contract early as they wouldn't allow me to add a second name to the bill and the one big switch offer from BG was a better deal. They did charge me a break fee but they did not attempt to claw back €300 in welcome credit. Looking at their T&C's they do not explicitly say they will claw back such credit if you leave early on the other hand I note EI do have this in their T&C's.

I signed up for the Flogas Community Rate last Thursday and have heard nothing since . No automatic thank you for registering email etc. Will wait and see what happens

I signed up for the Flogas Community Rate last Thursday and have heard nothing since . No automatic thank you for registering email etc. Will wait and see what happens
I signed up on Wednesday and received an automated acknowledgement email from [email protected] almost immediately. Are you sure that you entered your email address correctly and that the email isn't in your junk/quarantine folder?

Back