Charges for Executive Pension (Zurich)

What I don’t understand is the Bid / Offer price gap. If it is 5%, is in effectively a 5% one off charge on all money put into a fund (or taken out if you prefer to look at it that way)?
You need to find out if it applies to your contract or not.
It mainly applies to older contracts, and continues to be published by Zurich for those older contracts where it applies.

I’ve money with them and one of the features is no bid/offer spread.

Advisors like Marc seem to take the worst life company contracts and compare them with incomplete numbers for their own offering.

If get access to the 0.4% wholesale rate for an Executive Pension and buy ETFs, how much is Marc charging me and how much is the stockbroker charging me? And where is my money?

I’ve money with them and one of the features is no bid/offer spread.

Advisors like Marc seem to take the worst life company contracts and compare them with incomplete numbers for their own offering.

If get access to the 0.4% wholesale rate for an Executive Pension and buy ETFs, how much is Marc charging me and how much is the stockbroker charging me? And where is my money?
Thank you. I will check for that in my contract. I’m that case 0.75% AMC and 100% allocation seems pretty good. Will have a quick scout around to see if a discount broker can beat it and report back.

Thank you. I will check for that in my contract. I’m that case 0.75% AMC and 100% allocation seems pretty good. Will have a quick scout around to see if a discount broker can beat it and report back.

I don’t think you will.

Personally, I’d be very happy to have an Executive Pension through Zurich Life at 0.75%. Are there other costs behind the scenes? Of course there are. The underlying shares have to be traded etc. But I’d have more faith in Zurich Life doing it on a massive institutional scale and extracting efficiencies than I would dealing with most Irish brokers.

Just so we are all clear then

You are not paying 0.75%pa. We don’t know what you are paying, but it’s not 0.75%pa.
You could obtain a more transparent contract for 0.40%pa plus underlying fund costs which reflect the investment choices you wish to make and which are more flexible, more transparent and offer considerably more choice with access to around 10,000 investment funds.

You can negotiate your advice fees directly with your adviser to reflect the risk to their business and the ongoing commitment you are looking for in terms of ongoing service.
You can have your assets held in custody with one of the World’s most secure custodians with around $2 trillion in custody assets and who’s parent has over $200 trillion in custody assets and is the custodian bank for the Federal Reserve.
Or
You can have a contract which is opaque, is not required to the disclose the true costs so plainly doesn’t, does not clearly disclose the sales commissions and which is held on the balance sheet of an insurance company so that if the balloon goes up, you are just in a long line of creditors. Equitable Life?

Those are the choices in Ireland today and increasingly smart investors are choosing the former over the latter.

You are not paying 0.75%pa. We don’t know what you are paying, but it’s not 0.75%pa.
You could obtain a more transparent contract for 0.40%pa plus underlying fund costs which reflect the investment choices you wish to make and which are more flexible, more transparent and offer considerably more choice with access to around 10,000 investment funds.

You can negotiate your advice fees directly with your adviser to reflect the risk to their business and the ongoing commitment you are looking for in terms of ongoing service.
You can have your assets held in custody with one of the World’s most secure custodians with around $2 trillion in custody assets and who’s parent had over $200 trillion in custody assets and is the custodian bank for the Federal Reserve.
Or
You can have a contract which is opaque, is not required to the disclose the true costs so plainly doesn’t, does not clearly disclose the sales commissions and which is held on the balance sheet of an insurance company so that if the balloon goes up, you are just in a long line of creditors. Equitable Life?

Those are the choices in Ireland today and increasingly smart investors are choosing the former over the latter.

This is just more hot air unfortunately and yet again doesn’t answer the question that’s been asked by many people on many different occasions.

Marc, typically what would those underlying fund costs and additional advice fees look like?

Say for €100k, €300k, and €1m?

You can have your assets held in custody with one of the World’s most secure custodians with around $2 trillion in custody assets and who’s parent has over $200 trillion in custody assets and is the custodian bank for the Federal Reserve.
Or

Why am I not paying 0.75%? Zurich has costs. Building rental, staff, advertising. Why is commission any different?

Assuming you are going to invest in one of their passive funds you can calculate the historic cost....This is how I would approach the problem.

Get unit prices for the fund, say 1, 5 and ten years ago.
Get prices for the underlying index on the same days.

Compare the return the fund and the index got. The difference is the drag/cost added by zurich.

If you are choosing an active fund then this strategy will not work.

Other notes on costs - Numbers from memory so might be slightly off - and they are based on investing in the fund in a non pension wrapper, so only an indication.

It is well known that the AMC covers only some portions of the costs/charges. But it is not the correct thing to focus on, you want to know the total reduction in performance that you experience.

The excellent doc Marc posted indicated that e.g. prisma has 2.7p.c. p.a. reduction in yield (i.e. cost to you) and blackrock global passive equity of about 1.7p.c. (over 7 years).

my first conclusion: active investing is costing 1 p.c. more a year vs passive. Stick with passive funds.

Looking at the passive,... I guess blackrock's cost is about .2 p.c. also we can call say .2 p.c. of the cost, the government cost over the 7 years.

Second conclusion Zurich is 'adding' at least 1.3p.c of cost to the passive fund..... Which is a lot more than your stated AMC.

note I'm not involved in finance industry, just a punter that has grappled/been interested with the same cost question for decades.

Last edited:
As it is all so opaque, I decided to move to davy in 2012.

I'm charged 50 percent of .75p.c of my davy balance every 6 months (i.e. .75% per year). And I invest in passive low cost ETFs. So I am fairly confident my total holding costs are less than 1p.c. p.a.

The only other 'costs/performance reduction' that I'm aware I'm exposed to:

Foreign currency Dividends accrue currency exchange costs.

The drag of 'cash' from dividends until I manually reinvest dividends by purchasing ETFs.

To purchase additional ETFs I may suffer, some purchase fees, additional 'costs' from currency exchange (depending on where I buy the ETF) and a bid/offer gap on the trade.

Potentially some reduction in return from sub-optimal etf internal taxes depending on which ETF I buy.

As SPC100 notes above those figures from the PRiIPs document relate to investment bonds not investing in a pension. The AMC used in that document is 1.5% & then theres the 1% insurance levy.

@time to plan
Can you let us know:
1: will you have a policy fee, if so how much
2: will there be early surrender penalties
3: what fund are you interested in / looking at?

As mentioned earlier its very unlikely that you will have a b/o spread. Just more ridiculous requirements that need to go into customer brochures. I’ve said it on here before pre-sale disclosure / customer brochures really need an enormous overall to help stop the exact position you’ve found yourself in.

Or

Just so we are all clear then. You joined this thread suggesting an alternative which you claim is better, more transparent etc. You quote some of the charges of your suggested alternative, so readers could compare with what the original poster had been offered. But you left out one important charge - sales commission / fee - which in your example is something that the customer must pay in addition to the other charges you quoted. The OP showed figures which included sales commission. Yours exclude sales commission and despite repeated requests, you haven't even given an example of the sales commission / fee.

I've highlighted a line in your most recent post above. (You may have to "Click to Expand" to read it.) Read my last paragraph again. Then read the highlighted line again.

Just so we are all clear then. You joined this thread suggesting an alternative which you claim is better, more transparent etc. You quote some of the charges of your suggested alternative, so readers could compare with what the original poster had been offered. But you left out one important charge - sales commission / fee - which in your example is something that the customer must pay in addition to the other charges you quoted. The OP showed figures which included sales commission. Yours exclude sales commission and despite repeated requests, you haven't even given an example of the sales commission / fee.

I've highlighted a line in your most recent post above. (You may have to "Click to Expand" to read it.) Read my last paragraph again. Then read the highlighted line again.

Dave, don’t forget the comparison between the worst that the life company has to offer versus partial information regarding the alternative.

My favourite part was the choice of 10,000 funds! Now how in their right mind does one whittle down a choice of 10,000.

My favourite part was the choice of 10,000 funds! Now how in their right mind does one whittle down a choice of 10,000.
In-fairness though that is actually a valid advantage; while there are quite a few funds available in my Zurich pension, I would like some more choices around for example green energy funds and a plain old S&P500 index fund.

I wonder does any broker offer an execution-only, unbundled, PRSA with no ongoing advisory fees or trail commissions?

Obviously there would be establishment costs but a pension wrapper with a fixed annual cost of ~€500pa would be a very attractive option for somebody with a decent sized pension pot.

tax
As SPC100 notes above those figures from the PRiIPs document relate to investment bonds not investing in a pension. The AMC used in that document is 1.5% & then theres the 1% insurance levy.

@time to plan
Can you let us know:
1: will you have a policy fee, if so how much
2: will there be early surrender penalties
3: what fund are you interested in / looking at?

As mentioned earlier its very unlikely that you will have a b/o spread. Just more ridiculous requirements that need to go into customer brochures. I’ve said it on here before pre-sale disclosure / customer brochures really need an enormous overall to help stop the exact position you’ve found yourself inPolicy
Funds I am looking at are:

Asia Pacific Equity
Indexed TopTech 100
Indexed Emerging Markets Equity (BlackRock)
Indexed Eurozone Equity (Blackrock)
Gold (5%)

Open to other suggestions although my instinct is more towards passive funds. For context I have an index linked UK public sector pension worth £7k pa as well.

Trusteeship fee is waived. I would need to dig around for any other fees. There are early surrender penalties for first five years which I’m comfortable with.

I wonder does any broker offer an execution-only, unbundled, PRSA with no ongoing advisory fees or trail commissions?

Obviously there would be establishment costs but a pension wrapper with a fixed annual cost of ~€500pa would be a very attractive option for somebody with a decent sized pension pot.
Would it be attractive to a broker?

In the absence of additional information, let’s assume that there is an additional 1.5% to 2.0% added to that 0.4%. Ouch.

Back