Charge Business Customers for Delivery?

JMR

I sell products via my website to consumers and charge them extra for delivery.

I also sell to a small number of retail outlets at a reduced price and up to now have been delivering the goods myself and not charging for delivery.
I now have some customers in the West of Ireland and will need to send goods by courier.
Generally speaking, do businesses charge their re-sellers for delivery or is it included in the product price?

Thanks

It depends on the business, the product value and the relationship with the supplier.
Why not offer free delivery on orders above a certain value.

There are lots of factors such as what your competitors do regarding delivery charges. You want to maximize your profit and reduce the barriers to your customers ordering from you.
It is great if you are able to offer a free delivery option but that does not need to be for all deliveries. The value of the order is one consideration. You should also consider the lead time, if the customer orders 5 days before delivery you have more time to prepare the order and choose a cheaper shipping option. Also you may offer free delivery on the first order regardless of the value to get your product in to their shop.

The most important part is to have a simple and clear delivery charge structure.

Back