changing solicitor?

kim

can you request your files from your solicitor? I want to change my solicitor as I am not happy with her, how do I go about doing it?

You can change solicitors any time you like.

Just go to a new solicitor and ask them to take over the files. They will only do that if there are no fees outstanding to the first solicitor. Also, if there are undertakings given by the first solicitor, they will have to be released from those undertakings before files can be transferred.

mf

Thanks Mf, what do you mean by undertakings?

A personal promise by the solicitor to do something on your behalf - if they have no instructions and no file they could not honour it.

As regards taking over files, a lot depends on the kind of work and the state of the situation. If a solicitor is halfway through a complicated case or conveyance, it can be quite complicated to move solicitors. If you've already spoken to a new solicitor, they should have explained all of this to you.

mf

the case is settled but I still have to deal with her from time to time and I just dont want to anymore she is very rude and money mad, id rather if anything else arises in the future with the case that someone else look after it,

Back