Changing locks on family home???

T

thegrimm

My dad died recently and left the house to my mother and my siblings (who have since moved out) in his will. Can she change the locks, the house is still in dads name. Do they have to be told and given a set of keys? Thanks.

My dad died recently and left the house to my mother and my siblings (who have since moved out) in his will. Can she change the locks, the house is still in dads name. Do they have to be told and given a set of keys? Thanks.

She (your mother) has certain rights - i.e to acquire the family home in satisfaction of her legal right share.

There is a great deal more to your query, methinks!

mf

My mother was left one third and the rest to us (deeds only in dads name). Some do not get on with her and she doesn't want them coming in and out when they please. She is getting a new front door for security (old one is in bits and not secure). Probate not done yet and one of my brothers is executor. There are still young kids in the house and she doesn't feel comfortable with the others being able to get in whenever they want (they do not get on with mother at all). Bit of a messy situation to say the least.

I would think she is following the right path both from her own peace of mind and security, always had a key to my parents but will always ring the bell when i get there, just out of respect

Some do not get on with her and she doesn't want them coming in and out when they please.

Imagine that in her own house she doesn't want other adults coming and going as they please. If they live somewhere else and are adults shouldn't they have the manners to ask permission to enter.

If she ends up with one third share only does that mean her children who have inherited will force her to sell to get their share. And they have younger siblings in the house, is that correct?

Maybe some people need to grow up and think about what the right thing to do is, including renouncing their share of the estate.

Back