changing house from domestic to commercial

agadele

Hi

I have a large house in limerick city that I have been letting out to students over the last few years. I want to change the use of it, as students are pain. There are 6 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, kitchen , sitting room and living room. I have never had any luck in renting it out to professionals as people only want to live with 3-4 people - well, thats my experience, and I need to cover the mortgage.
Its in a great position for offices, docotors rooms etc, as the whole area is surrounded by them?
Can anyone give me any advice on this type of converstion? Whats involved? Will I have to pay commercial rates, planning permission, fire regulations etc?
Any advice greatly appreciated.
agadele

The future tenants will be liable for rates, not the landlord, unless you want to be! However if there are no tenants you will be liable to pay the rates but you can apply for a refund if you were unsuccesful in getting a tenant having genuinely tried to. You have to show that you advertised at a market rate rent and things like that. You also don't have to pay rates while the commercial properties are being built/renovated but again you must pay rates and seek rebate with evidence from contractor/architect/engineer on site.

You would (if you get PP for change of use) obviously have to comply with building regulations and you would be obliged to contact the Valuations Office to have your property valued for rates. The Valuation Office then pass on the valuation to the council who issue bills in around February. It is an offence not to inform the Valuations Office of a new or substantially altered rateable premises.

Back