Changing electric providers?

BrokeBroker

Couple quick questions.

1) government credits applied to the account. If the account is in credit, presumably that money is refunded to the clients account?

2) my contract expired two days ago. Am I obliged to get another contract ASAP or how does that work? Ideally I'd like to wait until after the 1st so see how the unit rates change. Any issues with waiting a few weeks?

Thoughts?

If your account is in credit and you switch provider, you must ask for any credit to be refunded to you - it's not automatic.

As Leo said, you will move to your current provider's standard rates once you are out of contract. These rates could be a lot higher than you have been paying while in contract.

I'm in a similar position - is it expected that unit rates will drop after 1st of Jan? I notice a lot of the newer alternative plans have a fixed rate for the term of the contract, so while currently cheaper, may be more expensive in the long run.

I switched last year just as one of the credits was being applied. Led to a lot of confusion as although I was with my new supplier before the credit was applied the process of switchover lasted about 10 days so ESB Networks paid the credit to my old supplier. The old supplier refunded me the credit but then a couple of days later claimed I was in arrears and started to send threatening letters. Took a call to the regulator and ESB Networks to resolve before the old supplier eventually rescinded their arrears claim. My advice would be to avoid switching for two weeks before a credit is due to be applied.

Back