Changing coins to Notes

I'm sure that I've seen 12% in some places. Even 9.5% is exorbitant to me but maybe some people are willing to pay that for convenience?

I have converted coins to notes on a few occasions with AIB with no problems, no commission etc. Sometimes they do ask if I have an account with them (which I do). The sums involved have been quite large - over €2000 on one occasion but converted to notes with an outward smile (would love to be able to read her mind though). All coins were bagged correctly...

BB

What I've done in the past is counted all of my euro, two euro and 50c coins and bagged them. I've never been charged to lodge them or exchange for cash in Ulster bank. Personally I couldnt bear to count out the rest of the 1c, 2c etc's so I fire them into the coin machine in Super Valu. Its worth the 8% commission charge for the amount of time it saves me.

Pump the coins into the Tesco automated cash registers.

Or pay for a pint with 36 10-cent coins.

Or 18 20-cent coins.

Pay for the Irish Times with 32 5-cent coins.

In November last year I was able to bank 102 euro in coins in BOI on O'Connell Str. No charge.

Why not simply spend the coins?

Pay for a newspaper, milk, a pint here and there, and in no time all the coins will be gone.

Well said.

Surely if people are throwing their coins into a jar at every opportunity they are constantly having to break notes as they're not carrying change?

I was in Smyths Drogheda last week with a couple of bags of coins. I took my purchase to the till and asked the cashier whether she wanted me to take them out of the bags and count them out or not. Then she informed me that Smyths have a coin weighing machine for this very reason, took the coin bags, weighed them and brought back notes.
Apparently on a bank holiday weekend sometimes change can run way down for them so they were delighted to take my bags from me!
As was suggested to me on a previous thread, the best bet if you have a regular source of coins and don't want to pay large commissions to banks on business accounts, is to find someone who will take it from you. We solved this with a local shop (not Smyths) who don't want to pay commission on taking coin from the bank. Everyone wins, except the bank. ;)

Shopkeepers are charged for coins afaik. I often to with a bag of coins (when there is no queue!!!!!) and they are delighted to get this money "free".

I constantly empty my coin jar and take the shrapnel to the bank (BOI). Up to now there has been no charge, the day there is will be the day I change bank accounts...

I got a round of 2 Guinness on Thur night, 7.80, paid all in coins.

I was in Lidl today, gave in a load of coins.

I actually buy coins off the lotto person at work. I give them 50 euro for 1 and 2 coins, maybe some 50c coins.

Maybe I am obsessive-compulsive???

The post office will take bagged coins. You can use them to pay off bills or just lodge them.

What I've done in the past is counted all of my euro, two euro and 50c coins and bagged them. I've never been charged to lodge them or exchange for cash in Ulster bank. Personally I couldnt bear to count out the rest of the 1c, 2c etc's so I fire them into the coin machine in Super Valu. Its worth the 8% commission charge for the amount of time it saves me.

Just a thought you could buy one of those coin counting machines from somewhere like Powercity. That would save you the 8% commission.

When my boys piggy bank had to be emptied we spent 2 hours counting up all the coins by hand.
Putting them into lines he of course insisted on knocking them down.
Total was €352 or there abouts.
What a hoot!

Meant to say going to put it all into a Credit Union Acc for the boy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use my 10c, 20c and a few 50c to buy the Sunday papers, €1, €2 coins for lunch (if I haven't brought my own), and bring the rest (1c, 2c, 5c) into the coin counters in Supervalu once every 6 months or so.

Just a thought you could buy one of those coin counting machines from somewhere like Powercity. That would save you the 8% commission.
Or just count and bag them manually and save yourself the price of the coin counting machine. It's not that difficult. Keep the kids out of the way if it is.

I have a digital kitchen weighing scales so when I was counting coins today I only counted the first lot of each coin then weighed the rest. It worked a treat as I was bang on when I got to the bank. Maybe someone else might find use out of this. It definitely speeds up the process!

Coin_____Per bag_____No. of coins________Weight

1 cent____€1__________100_____________232g
2 cent____€2__________100_____________306g
5 cent____€5__________100_____________399g
10 cent___€10_________100_____________412g
20 cent___€10_________50______________288g
50 cent___€25_________50______________391g
€1_______€25_________25_______________?
€2_______€50_________25_______________?

I have a digital kitchen weighing scales so when I was counting coins today I only counted the first lot of each coin then weighed the rest. It worked a treat as I was bang on when I got to the bank. Maybe someone else might find use out of this. It definitely speeds up the process!

Coin_____Per bag_____No. of coins________Weight

1 cent____€1__________100_____________232g
2 cent____€2__________100_____________306g
5 cent____€5__________100_____________399g
10 cent___€10_________100_____________412g
20 cent___€10_________50______________288g
50 cent___€25_________50______________391g
€1_______€25_________25_______________?
€2_______€50_________25_______________?
If there was a Post Of The Month, this would be on my shortlist.

Back