Central Heating

Sarah

Just moved in!! We have gas heating and two thermostats for the boiler, one for the upstaris rads and one for downstaris. I asked the plumber what is the norm temp setting and he said set the thermostat at 20 but the house seems cold at this setting. Was thinkin of knocking it up to 30 but is that a standard setting and will it make the gas bill huge? Also i know its off topic but we got a 100% mortgage with first active and have it fixed for the next two years. If another lending instution (tsb,ulster ect) was to offer me a better deal on my mortgage can i switch or is this legal?

Thanks

Sarah

Sarah said:
Was thinkin of knocking it up to 30 but is that a standard setting and will it make the gas bill huge?
30 would be uncomfortably hot - Try 22-24 and adjust slowly up or down from there.

Sarah said:
Also i know its off topic but we got a 100% mortgage with first active and have it fixed for the next two years. If another lending instution (tsb,ulster ect) was to offer me a better deal on my mortgage can i switch or is this legal?
If you switch before the end of your fixed rate deals, First Active will charge you a penalty for breaking your fixed deal. Talk to them to put a value on this. What rate are you paying to First Active

Every degree of increased/decreased room temperature will cost/save about 6% of the fuel bill. The costs of room temperature increase in this case has nothing to do with the thermostat setting . Only the real temperature counts for the valet . Your thermostats might be faulty , your radiators to small, set in the wrong place etc.... Buy a thermometer for a few €s and measure the room temperature.

Back