Central Bank of Ireland: Huge Deposit Movements in November 2010

spoken like a true closet FF voter

Never voted for them in my life!

Back on topic:

So if I understand the significance of this slow bank run properly, it means the IMF/EU bailout we've been given will only last for a few months?

Early March 2011 or thereabouts.

So if I understand the significance of this slow bank run properly, it means the IMF/EU bailout we've been given will only last for a few months?

The more deposits fall, the more money the government/IMF/EU/ICB/ECB/BOE (yes, the BOE have given Irish banks 10 billion GBP) must pump into the 6 Irish banks to keep them solvent and prevent them from collapsing. That is assuming that the central banks continue to play ball and do not pull liquidity.

The IMF came here to stop the bank drain and some of their funds are being used directly to help the Irish banks, and consequently to try and stop central banks from having to prop them up.

If, as seems to be happening, deposits continue to fall combined with further losses on loans, then the money needed to pump into the Irish banks to keep them solvent, may run the risk of exceeding the bailout fund.

That is, unless the 'money' starts coming from yet more under-the-radar magical ICB "promissory notes".

Early March 2011 or thereabouts.

Thanks. I think I need to make a wall chart of all the things that are coming in the next 3-4 months. No doubt theres people beavering about with their plans for this nation, yet to be revealed. The common man like myself can only guess from a couple of clues where we're headed.

best thing would be to arrange takeovers by a foreign bank - at least then, everyone might stop shifting their deposits offshore

This bank flight is starting to get very serious, 70 billion EUR in deposits have left the country in 2010 according to analysis by the Indo below. If you factor in deposits that have moved from the 6 Irish banks to foreign based banks in Ireland, then the figure is even bigger:

Indo: €70bn in deposits Have Fled Irish banks as Irish Banks haemorrhaged Deposits

http://www.independent.ie/business/...eposits-fled-irish-banks-in-2010-2482304.html

IRELAND'S domestic banks have haemorrhaged more than €70bn in deposits in the past year, as savers and company treasurers pulled their cash out of our financial institutions.

The massive flight in deposits is revealed in an analysis of monthly data from the Central Bank and charts a period of unprecedented turmoil in Ireland's financial landscape.

The figures show our banks lost €69.5bn of deposits between the start of 2010 and the end of November. Further outflows are likely to have occurred in December, putting 2010's total deposits exodus at well over €70bn.

The Indo gets the point, that CNN and others have missed:

The data covers about 20 "domestic credit institutions", incorporating the traditional Irish banks plus foreign players with Irish retail operations like KBC, Rabobank and Northern Rock.

As such, it masks the likely flight in deposits from 'traditional' Irish banks to foreign-owned institutions like Rabobank and National Irish Banks, which are perceived as 'safer'.

So the plan was that the IMF would fill the deposit drain rather than the CB? If so at this rate of going Ireland will need a second bail out in a short period of time or will need to default.

How do I find out the amount withdrawn from An Post saving products over the same period?

After all this and everthing else that has happened with the damn banks whoever if anyone has money left in an Irish bank account has only themselves left to blame when Ireland defaults.

Another wonderful piece by NAMA Wine Lake, this is a very well informed and balanced piece on what is happening, an article that is well worth reading:

NAMA Wine Lake: Continuing deposit flight versus finite central bank support. What gives?

http://namawinelake.wordpress.com/2...ersus-finite-central-bank-support-what-gives/

What we know -
(a) The ECB has provided €138.2bn of Emergency Liquidity Assistance to the Irish banking system to the end of November, 2010 of which €97.3bn was to the domestic Irish banking system (list of banks at bottom). The ELA is confirmed in the note at the bottom of page 4 of the latest CBI monthly report. Lending from the ECB is up from €80bn in April 2010 and at €138.2bn at the end of November, considerably higher than the previous era all-time high of €118.3bn in March 2009 when the Irish banking system was teetering following the nationalization of Anglo and the exposed €7bn liquidity holes in AIB and Bank of Ireland.
(b) The Central Bank of Ireland has additionally provided liquidity assistance of €44.674bn to domestic Irish banks to the end of November, 2010 up from €13.474bn at the start of 2010 and increasing by €30bn-odd in the three months ending November 2010.
(c) Some €70bn of deposits fled Irish domestic banks (the six State-guaranteed and some 14 others that provide domestic banking facilities) in the 11 months to the end of November, 2010.
(d) The six State-guaranteed banks had €198bn of customer deposits as at their last reporting dates (June 2010 save for INBS which was in December 2009). ECB funding has increased from €87.3bn to €138.2bn since June 2010. If all of this was to replace deposits in the six State guaranteed banks, that would still leave a potential requirement of €150bn from the ECB/CBI should deposits flee in their entirety.

Meanwhile, Brian Lucey who has been following this from the start, and has been well clued in, shares his latest colourful thoughts on Twitter:

can't see much confidence returning to stop this brisk it's-a-walk-but-really-fast on the banks for a while

these are different (Central Bank) promissory notes...new, improved, off balance sheet ones

Fortune magazine "torrents of money pouring out of Ireland."

I'm a bit confused. Does this 70bn figure include money that has been moved from the Irish banks to foreign banks with operations in Ireland such as Rabo and NIB. Or has this money actually left the country to foreign soil?

It just seems that if you lose faith in an Irish bank the easiest thing for an ordinary punter is to move their money to the likes of Rabo or NIB. It is far more difficult to set up a foreign bank account, without being resident, and move your money there.

The 70,000,000,000 EUR refers to money that has been taken out of the country. It does not cover transfers to foreign based banks in Ireland like Rabo.

It takes some time for a retail saver to open a bank account in NI/IOM/Europe etc.

However, it is much easier for corporate customers and hedge fund customers to move money to other locations. The greatest movements have been from corporate customers, but many retail savers have also moved funds abroad.

It is far more difficult to set up a foreign bank account, without being resident, and move your money there.

In fairness, it is very easy to set up a Keytrade Belgium account, and opening a Deutsche Bank account is fairly painless (apart from having to go to Berlin, but hey, it's a nice city).

I went to see David McWilliams in the Abbey Theatre last July. He spent some time talking about how this banking crisis would end in a terminal Irish deposit flight. At the time I could not see that happening. He was once again right, about the deposit flight aspect anyway, and once again displayed tremendous foresight in his usual colourful language.

Today's David McWilliams article, deals with the deposit flight, where some of the money is going and how it will be the "ultimate end game" for Irish banking policy:

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/c...lts-filling-up-with-our-deposits-2483877.html

First to leave is professional capital. This is the money in the stock market which goes. Then money leaves the bond market. The bond market shuts down. Then the big corporate deposits leave as financial directors of large companies decide that they are not being paid for the risk of holding assets in the crippled banking system. Ultimately, this fear permeates down the food chain and ultimately the ordinary depositors up sticks and head for the hills.

This column has made this point for more than two years now: the ultimate endgame arising from this government's banking policy will be capital flight. The most damning indictment of this government's competence is that at a time when Irish people have never saved -- or wanted to save -- more, we are seeing deposits leave our own banks. Last week, this column discussed the massive switch from spending to saving in Ireland and yet bank results show deposits leaving the system.

And some of that money is coming here to places like Davos. For the Swiss, Ireland is just a microcosm of what is happening all over Europe. For them the deal is very simple. The ECB has to convince German, French, Dutch and Austrian savers that their money is safe in the euro. To do this, the ECB has to convince the savers that it has a credible way of dealing with the banking and debt crises in Greece, Ireland, Spain, Portugal and the big one to come, Italy.

It has failed to do this in 2010. Will 2011 be any different? When seen from the altitude up here in the Alps, the answer seems to be definitely not.

They also explained that lots of money is coming from Ireland. These guys, who I worked with years ago, have never really seen any business from Ireland and certainly during the boom they looked on with a sense of trepidation because they had seen this before.

Now they are getting calls from Dublin on a daily basis.

A very interesting point has been made on thepropertypin.com about the Central Bank of Ireland stats. They only show money leaving the country, the stats do not include those that are moving money out of one Irish bank (AIB etc) and into another Irish based bank (Rabo etc).

Heard someone on Newstalk yesterday lunchtime highlighting this fact. I agree with you that the bigger picture for Irish banks is far worse than just the money that has left Ireland.

Also, excellent summary on why a new government will have little if any impact on confidence in Irish banks. The sooner these corporate corpses of banks are liquidated the better. If only it had been done 2 years ago.

Also, excellent summary on why a new government will have little if any impact on confidence in Irish banks.

Thanks Chris.

I agree with you that the bigger picture for Irish banks is far worse than just the money that has left Ireland.

Exactly, If 70,000,000,000 EUR has left Irish banks to go abroad, in a short period of time, then what is the figure if you add in what has left the 6 Irish banks for NIB/Rabo/Ulster/NUK etc etc? One would think it would be well over 100 billion EUR, which given the small size of deposits in Irish banks, is nothing short of a monumental huge tidal wave of deposit movements of unprecedented proportions.

Confidence is completly and totally gone in the Irish banks. I wish the government would let them go to the wall with their liabilities (Anglo, INBS and AIB) or sell them to foreign owners at nominal cost (BOI and EBS) or force their parent company to stump up more more cash (IL&P).

I was under the impression that money was going into these banks (NIB/Rabo/Ulster/NUK )

Yes, they have all had inflows.

The 6 Irish banks have had outflows to (1) internationally which are captured in the CB stats and (2) domestically to Rabo, NIB, NUK etc which are not in the stats.

Back