Census 1901 & 1911

soloeffort

Does anyone know if its true that I cannot obtain a 1911 Census of a particular house until 2011? Is there some rule that you can only get this information 100 years from the date of the census?

If anyone knows where I can get one can you let me know for both 1901 and 1911. Cheers.

You can definitely obtain a copy of the 1911 and 1901 census from the National Archives in Bishop Street. You need to go in there though. If it's Dublin, you can also get them from the library on Pearse St. Both sets are on microfiche. The staff are helpful.

The 100 census rule was relaxed in the 1960s for these 2 censuses because of the lack of earlier 19th century information. The 1891 and 1881 census returns were pulped for paper during WW1. The British army mistakingly believed there to be a second copy of each return. Earlier returns for 1861 onwards were lost when an incendiary device hit the 4 courts during the civil war.

The next release is in 2025 of the 1925 census.

Hope this helps.

You can also see them on microfiche in the the LDS (Mormon) family History Centres in Finglas and Cork. You will generally have to book ahead for a reader.

You can get a printout directly from (some of) the screens at the National Archives.

There are very limited and isolated substitutes/transcripts available for some earlier censuses available in the National Library. Check http://www.nli.ie/en/faq/family-history-faq.aspx#faq3 for details.

The 1891 and 1881 census returns were pulped for paper during WW1. The British army mistakingly believed there to be a second copy of each return. Earlier returns for 1861 onwards were lost when an incendiary device hit the 4 courts during the civil war.

Gosh I never knew that. I love AAM!

Back