CD wow settlement

M

mollser

Looks like CD wow have lost.

Question - I know its early days yet, but I wonder will this affect purchasing off the hk website? They'll increase their prices on the uk and ire websites, but what about the HK one? Will they still allow us to purchase off it?? Anyway, get your purchases in before Sunday!

[broken link removed]

CD Wow forced to stop parallel importing
By Richard Milne
Published: January 21 2004 12:47 | Last Updated: January 21 2004 12:47

UK consumers face the prospect of paying more for CDs bought on the internet after the music industry forced a leading online retailer to stop parallel importing.

Hong Kong-based CD Wow has agreed to stop sourcing CDs from outside the European Economic Area (EEA), in particular from Asia, in a move that will add £2 to its retail price.

The British Phonographic Industry said on Wednesday that it had settled its legal action - due for court early next month - with CD Wow, one of the internet's biggest success stories in the UK with a turnover last year estimated at £100m ($181.7m).

"It is hugely disappointing," said Philip Robinson, director of CD Wow. "It is very much the consumer who loses out."

He said that prices on cdwow.co.uk would rise from £8.99 to £10.99 from Sunday and that impact margins would take a substantial hit.

Music industry insiders said they were delighted with the result. "It is not the consumer that will suffer, just CD Wow's profit margins. They made a lot of money out of cheap CDs," one insider said.

The settlement represents the music industry's first success in its battle against parallel imports, where genuine CDs are purchased in one country before being sold in another without the copyright owner's consent.

The BPI is also investigating amazon.com, the world's largest online retailer, and has issued legal proceedings against play.com, a Jersey-based company, over parallel imports.

The decision only affects CD Wow's business in the UK and Ireland but it faces lawsuits in other countries, including Germany, from the record industry.

"Yes, it's a blow. But it is not a life-threatening blow," he said, adding that the CDs, which now will all be bought within the EEA, would still be shipped from Hong Kong.

Consumer groups reacted with dismay to the news saying that the music industry had chosen the wrong strategy to increase sales.

CD sales rose by 7.6 per cent last year, defying a downward trend globally, but critics say that this was due to the lower prices of online retailers and supermarkets.

"It's terrible news," said Phil Evans, principal policy adviser at the Consumers' Association. "We are back to Fortress UK and Ireland.

"It's just a travesty that an industry is allowed to segment the global market and charge higher prices in some parts than others. What is the point of global free trade?"

The BPI admitted that the CDs imported by CD Wow were genuine products bought from subsidiaries of UK record companies but argued that they had been sold without the consent of the companies.

The BPI released a short statement on the settlement. Peter Jamieson, BPI chairman, said: "I am delighted that we have been able to resolve this case on agreed terms without the need for a trial."

The BPI declined to comment further.

Shocking

Music industry insiders said they were delighted with the result. "It is not the consumer that will suffer, just CD Wow's profit margins. They made a lot of money out of cheap CDs," one insider said.

Will the price increase to the consumer? YES!
Therefore it's the consumer who will suffer.

This is shocking stuff.
It sets a very dangerous precedent.

-Rd

As somebody said to me earlier - if only some of these capitalist countries actually believed in free trade... :|

BPI bast...

I find it pathetic that squIRMA managed to get someone else to do their dirty work. What have the BRITISH Phonogrpahic Industry got to do with Ireland???

I also assume that this agreement will have no effect on DVD's and games sold on the site.

0, I think that the HK site will probably also increase its prices by the equivalent of £2 in HK dollars. The increases will be added when checked against the shipping address.

cdwow

This is grim news indeed. They are the only reason I buy as many cds as I do. I guess I'll have to download Kazaa again.

Re: cdwow

Seriously depressing news.

I wonder will Mary Hanrney be advising us where to shop now.

Great timing.

My piggpoints from a Dell purchase finally came through and I was about to order a few CDs (simply because there's not much else usefull to be ordered) in the next week or two.

Guess this means that the pigsback.com prices will go up again.

Rats.

z

How arrogant are they?? They really do know how to market themselves well, don't they?? :\ (what happened the frowny face one??)

I wonder how much of a precedent this will set, given it's an out of court settlement. There's no doubt that CdWOW have been bullied into submission here, as they wouldn't be able to afford to compete in court. I have no question that Amazon will not be so easy to beat. There are still some very dodgy holes in the BPI's accusations, and there'll be interesting times ahead if this does end up in court...

what happened the frowny face one??

I think the most appropriate one in this context is: :mad

A tough week Zag......

First VRT and now this.

I don't think it will effect "Region 2 DVDs" or "PAL Computer Games" i.e. European DVDs & Games as I would have thought that they were sourced within Europe.

Wonder what will happen the HK site. Will they add a charge if shipping is to UK/EIRE?

Re: A tough week Zag......

Just thought, whats their beef with Play.com? Where do they source their discs from? I'd imagine they're from within Europe, or am I wrong? If they are from within Europe, what are they suing them for? Undercutting the high street? :mad (tanks 0)

I'd imagine that................

The beef is that Play may also be sourcing CD's outside of the EC. Again it may not be the DVD Region 2 stuff.

timing

Do we know how soon the surcharge will take effect?

Is it immediate?

Methinks....

The deal has to kick in by Sunday. However have noticed that CD-WOW had put up their charges recently so I reckon some/all of the increase may have been factored in already.

CDWoW - (NOT) supported by Mary Harney & Co !

Hi,

Indeed this is sad news & an end to my great CD collection as there is no way I will be buying anything like as many CDs at the new increased prices.

I must say I was very pleased to see the great Mary Harney supporting CDWoW & speaking out to say that this deal would not be recognised in Ireland, where she would support CDWoW & encourage them to ship within Ireland from any location here they liked, as long as they kept their prices stable & created a bit of employment. She is all talk & here is another example of it, I fear :(

Still, in addition to writting to those "nice people" (see below for meaning ;) ) that Fish has made referance to above, to express our dis-satisfaction, I reckon our local politicans should also get a load of complaints from us too ! - lets remind them that we don't like Rip Off Ireland & this is yet another example of why, they won't be getting our vote next time around !

Needless to say, the real impact of this kinda news about CD prices increasing etc is that piracy will most likely increase !

Regards

G>

ps - for those of you wondering what "nice people" really means ... lets just say it's something I won't post on this site out of respect for Brendan & the others here who contribute to this site.

Re: CD Rip Offs - Complain & Spread The Word !!!!

Hi,

Just a follow up, a guy (Agent007) on Rpoints.com had posted the following quote - so I thought I'd copy it over along with my response .....

According to the BPI this is good for us "It is not the consumer that will suffer, just CD Wow's profit margins"!

... eh, I think the BPI are talking "Poo" ;)

Anyone wanting to e-mail the BPI & tell them what you think of their quote, can do so on the following e-mail address:

[email protected]

Feel free to pass on this address to all you know - while I'd never suggest they should be spammed, I do think they would welcome some feedback from their customers (well, we are their customers, indirectly are we not ?)

If we can do it to help fix the votes on various internet campaigns, then we can surely do it to set up a long list of complaints via e-mail to this lot so pass the above e-mail addresss onto all the people you know ;)

Good work on providing the e-mail Fish :)

Regards

G>

Message from CD WOW

Received this email. It may answer some of your questions:

CD WOW! - An Important Announcement

Dear Member,

The UK Major record companies through their mouth piece the BPI* have unfortunately restricted the UK and Irish consumers right to enjoy the freedom of the World Wide Web.

As from this weekend, any CD ordered for delivery to the UK and Ireland will incur a surcharge as we are only able to deliver CDs manufactured within the EU (more expensive).

Delivery to the rest of the world will not be affected.

You only have a few days left - so order now!

Be quick to make the best of our current low low prices while you can still exercise your right to choose.

We will of course still be supplying UK and Irish customers but as of Sunday 25th January 2004 a surcharge of 3.00 Euros (£2.00) per CD will apply.

Please Note - our prices of DVDs and Games will remain unaffected

Warmest Regards,
CD WOW!

Is the Republic of Ireland an Independent Country?

Since when does the English High Court in London have juristiction in the Republic of Ireland?

Ajapale

Re: Is the Republic of Ireland an Independent Country?

Bizarrely enough, I got 2 cd's in the post yesterday, as ordered from the CDWow.hk website, so just over €10 each.

The Thrills and Good Charlotte.

The Thrills was manufactured in the EU, and Good Charlotte was manufactured in Austria, hence, both were sourced from within Europe.

This leaves serious flaws in the argument of the BPI.

Back