Cat Bin Lady, Puppy River Fling Girl & Dublin Dog killed by fireworks.

I'm sorry, but I don't get this thing of finding it perfectly acceptable for some animals to be slaughtered and killed and see it as being ok, yet on the other hand find it totally outrageous and shocking that someone might do something along these lines to a domestic animal. They're all animals and some people here are claiming to be animal lovers. Or is it just certain animals?

I'm sorry, but I don't get this thing of finding it perfectly acceptable for some animals to be slaughtered and killed and see it as being ok, yet on the other hand find it totally outrageous and shocking that someone might do something along these lines to a domestic animal. They're all animals and some people here are claiming to be animal lovers. Or is it just certain animals?

Well then I think your problem is with animal rights and not this woman being vilified.

There is a huge difference between a cat as a pet and a farmer fattening up livestock to send off to the slaughterhouse to be turned into dinners.

I also think that if this was a child we were talking about there would be pages and pages of outrage along the lines of "sure these things start out small with animal cruelty and then they turn into serial killers".

I was shocked and outraged that woman should be flogged !!! That bin is clearly marked for the recycling of carboard and paper :D

I don't know why she did it, I don't think she even knows herself why she did it.

If this was a gang of 10 year olds, I'd be reading posts on how animal cruelty was the first step to becoming murderers, much like the James Bulger case

Well you are right of course, its either acceptable to treat an animal cruelly or it isnt. Its either acceptable for a human to kill an animal or it isnt. However, culturally it is acceptable to raise and kill livestock for food - one could argue that prior to civilisation humans would hunt and kill an animal for food. The key thing to remember here is - for food. So we either accept that the human race is allowed to sustain itself by choosing to eat meat or it isnt. If it is (and it clearly is acceptable in most cultures), then the raising of livestock for slaughter is culturally acceptable. However, trapping an animal with the deliberate intention of allowing that animal to die a death preceded by pain and suffering - with no end result such a steak on the plate - well thats not quite the same thing as raising livestock to produce meat.

From a philosophical viewpoint the argument For eating meat doesnt hold up. There is no reason why its ok for humans to decide that animals are ok to eat. But culturally it is an acceptable practice. In light of that practice being acceptable - it still doesnt make it acceptable to be randomly cruel to an animal where the only intention is cruelty in and of itself.

From a philosophical viewpoint the argument For eating meat doesnt hold up. There is no reason why its ok for humans to decide that animals are ok to eat. But culturally it is an acceptable practice. In light of that practice being acceptable - it still doesnt make it acceptable to be randomly cruel to an animal where the only intention is cruelty in and of itself.

That's like telling a Lion that he shouldn't kill and eat the Wildebeest because there are some berries on a bush over there that they can eat instead.

Humans eat meat. We have done so through our various evolutionary stages for hundreds of thousands of years. It was the eating of meat that allowed us to increase our brain size and reduce the size of our intestine, allowing us to move about better on two legs. Meat, to a great extent, has made us what we are. The idea that we should not do so is largely the preserve of squeamish middle-income suburbanites.

There is a world of a difference between killing and eating an animal (be it farming or hunting)and being intentionally cruel to one.

So killing the animal is not intentionally cruel, it's ok to kill it, because we're going to eat it. It's ok for battery hens to be kept in stuffed, overcrowded sunless factory farm conditions, because we're going to eat their eggs. It's ok to load cows into overcrowded trucks for a nice, long journey to a slaughterhouse, all because we're going to eat them.

Remember, our treatment of cows appals Hindus. They see us as being cruel to the cow for doing what we do. Does it bother us? Not a bit!

I eat meat. I accept that all of the above happens and still eat the meat. Does that make me a crazed lunatic, capable of going out murdering humans. Not at all. She pushed a cat in a bin, in a moment of madness no doubt. No one knows the history of the situation, she could've had problems with the cat before, God knows. Don't be casting aspersions on the woman when none of you know her. Yes, it's been said before, much worse things happen to animals then this, but it's true and it will continue to be true.

Oh and remember that there are societies that do consider cat meat food as well, to them, this would be minor :)

"Remember, our treatment of cows appals Hindus. They see us as being cruel to the cow for doing what we do. Does it bother us? Not a bit!"

Why should it bother us? We live in two different societies. If people were to live their lives by what other cultures think then there would be no diversity in the world.

"Oh and remember that there are societies that do consider cat meat food as well, to them, this would be minor :)"

Yes but we are not one of those societies, that is why people find this appalling.

So killing the animal is not intentionally cruel, it's ok to kill it, because we're going to eat it. It's ok for battery hens to be kept in stuffed, overcrowded sunless factory farm conditions, because we're going to eat their eggs. It's ok to load cows into overcrowded trucks for a nice, long journey to a slaughterhouse, all because we're going to eat them.

Remember, our treatment of cows appals Hindus. They see us as being cruel to the cow for doing what we do. Does it bother us? Not a bit!

I eat meat. I accept that all of the above happens and still eat the meat.

You know you can still have pets AND be a responsible meat consumer, right? Nobody is forcing you to eat battery eggs or ill-kept cattle. You have the choice as to what meat to eat. Ethical meat-eating is perfectly compatible with compassion for ALL animals.

Well, them and about three quarters of a billion Indians...
They should look at their cast system and the cruel and inhumane way in which they treat their fellow men and women before they get too distressed about how many cows are stuffed into a truck.

But as Pixiebean said, Purple, They live in a different society. They are not bothered by what you or I think of their cast system. We find it appalling. Do they care, not a bit.
Some societies find it acceptable to sacrifice human lives, they are not bothered by what we think. Some societies find it acceptable to eat cats and dogs, even horses. They couldn't care less what we think, they find it acceptable. This woman found it acceptable at the time to do this, whatever her reasoning. Was she bothered by what anyone thought at the time. Not a bit.

Takes all sorts to make the world go round, we may not like what those people do, but sometimes you just have to accept it as there is nothing you can do to change it.

You know you can still have pets AND be a responsible meat consumer, right? Nobody is forcing you to eat battery eggs or ill-kept cattle. You have the choice as to what meat to eat. Ethical meat-eating is perfectly compatible with compassion for ALL animals.

Of course. I know the wrongs of what has happened to these animals and I still choose to eat them. I'm sure this woman knew what she was doing was wrong, yet for some reason, unknown to anyone, she still chose to do it.

Sometimes you do things, you don't know why you do them, you know it may be wrong to do them, but you still do them.

"I'm sure this woman knew what she was doing was wrong, yet for some reason, unknown to anyone, she still chose to do it."

I'm sure that's what the majority of people on here are debating about. She did something wrong, possibly realising she was doing something wrong but thought she would get away with it so did it anyway. In our society it is not acceptable to the majority of people to harm a domestic animal in this way, that is why people find it appalling.

Back