Cashout options on Emigration

Jim Shan

Hi,
Looking for advice/clarification on my understanding. I am currently in my mid 30's and I emigrated with my current employer to the US in early 2015 on a permanent transfer.

1) My existing defined contribution plan in Ireland was stopped and I entered a new 401k US pension plan with the same employer. Can I cash out the plan from Ireland or if not, do I have an option to transfer the Irish plan to the US plan? I know that the later is not beneficial long term but you can withdraw from a US 401k plan at any given time.
2) Prior to starting the above pension plan, I had contributed 7,500 at the end of the SSIA scheme as there was a government match of 2,500 (1/3 of contribution match) at the time to entice younger people in particular to start a pension scheme. I never made a subsequent contribution to this plan after the initial deposit. Can I cash out or transfer from this to my US plan?
3) Lastly where can I find information on what I would be entitled to in the form of an Irish government pension as I worked full time for over 15 years in Ireland prior to emigration.

Thanks in advance for advice on any of the above.

Regards,
Jim

Back