cash present for a wedding

I´ve heard of a wedding recently were the bride-to-be had invited over 500 expecting 200 approx not to turn up but still to contribute over 150 euro each! This ´profit´ was to be used to help build their house...

i feel cash is the job...was married over 3o years and we still have many wedding presents gathering dust.

money is the way to go.....evrybody will use it,it will not gather dust in the attic! old school wedding gifts of toasters, forks n knives are out the window,in this modern age most getting married now adays will be living together and will have all the stuff

Unless it was a close friend I wouldnt give a present if I wasnt going to the wedding.

I also don't think its as serious as some people might think. I just got married and we didn't get presents from a few people and I couldnt care less. Maybe they hadnt got the money, maybe they didnt bother. Either way we wanted them there to help celebrate our day.

A friend of mine was invited to a wedding and the couple had a Wedding List in one of the big stores in Dublin. She phoned the store up payed by credit card and arranged for her gift to be sent on to the couple. She went to the wedding. Some time later she asked the bride's mother if they liked the present only to be told they didnt get it. The store never sent it out but they did take the money from her credit card. She got it sorted but says she would never buy from a wedding list again.

I agree, I know of one large dept store in Dublin who mislaid presents for two of the weddings I have been to recently - very embarrassing for the couples who have to figure out where presents have gone, who to thanks etc, not to mention for the friends who have bought presents but look as if they have not! I'm getting married later this year and would like to use a list to avoid cash issue for guests, but won't be using that establishment.

If giving cash would give 200-250 a couple up to 300 for a close friend. If a close friend then prefer to buy a gift than give cash.
If invited to the afters give 50 euro or a gift between 30-50 euro's worth. If not going to a wedding still give a present if a close friend.

I think €200 as a gift is appropriate...that's what I give people anyways.
I wouldn't give a gift if I was just going to the afters, having said that I don't think I've been to one. Surely afters invites are just for randomers who you wouldn't expect a gift from anyways?

IRISH INDEPENDENT 21st June

The SSIA windfall is fuelling increased spending on weddings in Ireland, according to the Weddings Online website.

The site's management says it has seen a surge in business since the special savings accounts started to mature.
Irish couples are now splashing out an average of €25,000 on their wedding day, including an average of around €1,500 on the bride's dress.
Fireworks, ice-sculptures and chocolate fountains are among the latest popular accessories.
Weddings Online also says Irish people spend an average of around €150 on their wedding gift, compared to €386 in Britain.

Weddings can be so expensive for people that I really believe people should just give whatever they feel right with. Mostly because I hate the thought of people who cannot afford it feeling pressurised. Most people gave us between E150-200 for a couple and E50-100 for one person. We were amazed at people's generosity in fact.

We used weddingwishlist.ie as our wedding list and I would recommend it (no conflict of interest). Because if you are uncomfortable with people giving you cash yet do not want all presents, you can pick things on the list like vouchers or items from retailers not on the site, guests select it as if it was a present and you get a cheque afterwards from WWL.

TBH - asking people for cash for a present to cover the cost of your wedding "your plate" and looking for a profit(?) to build a house etc is nasty, if you cant afford to ask that many people, have a small wedding!!

TBH - asking people for cash for a present to cover the cost of your wedding "your plate" and looking for a profit(?) to build a house etc is nasty, if you cant afford to ask that many people, have a small wedding!!
hear hear.

In the absence of the wedding list, I quite like the idea of giving money or vouchers as a wedding present. If I was to get married, the last thing I'd want is a load of stuff I don't like or want.

I feel that it's reasonable to give €150-€200 per couple depending on your personal circumstances and relationship with the couple. Bear in mind that you are also spending money on a hotel, getting to the venue, drinks, outfit, etc. I remember reading somewhere that an average guest spends about €540 on a wedding.

I´ve heard of a wedding recently were the bride-to-be had invited over 500 expecting 200 approx not to turn up but still to contribute over 150 euro each! This ´profit´ was to be used to help build their house...

Oh My God!!!! That is disgusting!

That is disgustingly mercenary. So much for your special day - it just turned into business plan.

Back