Cars Repaired on Road

The Bunny

Hi
Occupants of the house across the road from me are repairing cars on the road (i.e. not on private driveway), there are at least 3 cars resident in the house plus whatever is being worked on. TBH it's not a big deal but for the last week the current car being repaired has the front wheel off and is "propped" up on that wheel and lumps of wood. Yes I'm being a snob but it's a nice estate and this is an eyesore. Legally can a car be parked on a public road when is it propped up like this.

Regarding asking them to do something about it there is no residents committee and I am not willing to approach them until I know if legally I have any backing.

TIA

Is there any evidence that they might be running a "car sales" or "car repair" business from the property? If you suspect they are, report them to the local planning authority.

There is a different car there every few days, with the bonnet up and and somebody working under the bonnet, or somebody under the car. Sometimes the backseats have been taken out of the cars and left on the path.

Is that enough evidence? I don't really want to have to hang out with a camera and watch for money changing hands!

Thanks

Revenue will probably be interested in this. Take the registration numbers of all the cars over a period of time and forward them to Revenue. A review of the numbers by Revenue may show that they do not belong to the householder, therefore they are likely running a car repair or do up and sell business. These type of operations have a tendency to dissappear after they've recieved a visit and a large tax bill from Revenue.

This telephone number may also help -

Department of Transport
(Vehicle Ownership Enquiries)
Shannon
Co Clare
(061)365 000

You are in no way being a snob by saying you dont want this going on. We had the same in Lucan and it was not on my road, but every time I drove past it looked awful. They were not fixing cars but had a load of cars parked in the driveway and even in the garden.

They obviously were not very clever though because all the cars had prices on them in their windows, like you would see in a proper garage. I actually think Gardai and Customs came one morning and that was the end of that. I agree that Revenue is your best bet here.

Back