Cars (many) outside house

I would have thought that '10 cars' that 'look like scrap' would suggest that there is an 'eyesore' issue at least and it would certainly bother me.
There's also the strong possibility that the activity being carried on constitutes an unauthorised waste / waste recovery operation. Or another commercial activity which would require appropriate zoning / payment of rates. Either possibility indicates that it's a matter for the relevant sections of the local authority - respectively, waste management section, planners, rates section.

There's also the strong possibility that the activity being carried on constitutes an unauthorised waste / waste recovery operation.
Hardly likely if the operation concerned is being carried on in full public view in a residential area?

Or another commercial activity which would require appropriate zoning / payment of rates.
Its a bit naive to assume that the local authority are not already aware that a business is being carried on here. Maybe rates are already being paid to the local authority? The OP has no way of knowing this.

I would have thought that '10 cars' that 'look like scrap' would suggest that there is an 'eyesore' issue at least and it would certainly bother me.

I would suggest that, while it might bother the OP, it is probably none of their business. They will be living in a separate estate! A number of people live right beside this yard. They may have a right to object, but presumably this state of affairs has been going on and has been tolerated for some time. Its hard, therefore, to see what the problem is.

Any ideas if is there a law preventing others parking outside your house?

The area directly outside my house and wall is constantly being occupied by other neighbours as they have too many cars to park outside there own house. If I'm late back from work I have to park some distance away from my house. Is there anything I can do?

I know my next door neighbour has the same problem. Any ideas on what to do? I have posted messages on the cars asking the owners to park them elsewhere but to no avail.

Any ideas if is there a law preventing others parking outside your house?

The area directly outside my house and wall is constantly being occupied by other neighbours as they have too many cars to park outside there own house. If I'm late back from work I have to park some distance away from my house. Is there anything I can do?
If it's a public roadway then anybody can park there as far a I know.

Hi all,

Again following on from recent thread. Can an abandoned car be removed from an apartment complex? Is there some law that if it is within a private development the local authority cannot remove it??? the person who owned the car has long since left and contact is impossible.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi all,

Again following on from recent thread. Can an abandoned car be removed from an apartment complex? Is there some law that if it is within a private development the local authority cannot remove it??? the person who owned the car has long since left and contact is impossible.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

We moved into a new complex and as with many new complexes there were a string of abandoned cars. We simply called the Garda office and they took down the details and they were removed.
Have you tried that?
addob

I don't think it is always as simple as that. We had the same problem in a previous development and nothing was moved in my time there (even though it was raised as an ongoing issue and the Gardai were approached).

Hardly likely if the operation concerned is being carried on in full public view in a residential area?
Without wanting to quote Waste Management Acts at you, basically if these cars are not in working order and are being collected and held at a premises, it's at least distinctly possible that a waste licence or permit would be required. I fail to see how its being in full public view has anything to do with it.

Its a bit naive to assume that the local authority are not already aware that a business is being carried on here. Maybe rates are already being paid to the local authority? The OP has no way of knowing this.
Au contraire, it's extremely naive to assume full knowledge on the part of the local authority. Do you seriously believe the local authorities have people driving round to look at all developments to see if they comply with planning, at all premises to check whether rateable commercial activities are being carried on, and round the place generally to check that there's no dumping, illegal collection, etc? Because I can tell you for a fact that there's a limit to what even the most dedicated enforcement drive can do, and if the local authority isn't informed of a situation it can't examine it.

It may very well be that everything is in order and above board, but if it is not, there is no reason the OP should not check all relevant avenues. If it is, then fair enough - the OP will simply have to put up with it.

It may very well be that everything is in order and above board, but if it is not, there is no reason the OP should not check all relevant avenues. If it is, then fair enough - the OP will simply have to put up with it.

Fully agree.

Do you seriously believe the local authorities have people driving round to look at all developments to see if they comply with planning, at all premises to check whether rateable commercial activities are being carried on, and round the place generally to check that there's no dumping, illegal collection, etc?

Well in my neck of the woods, the local authority are very proactive (some would say aggressive) in checking up on businesses to ensure rates are being levied. They are also very proactive in relation to illegal dumping, unauthorised burning of rubbish etc.

Certainly if a business is being operated in full public view (ie alongside a road as against behind closed doors) it would be hard to imagine the rates guys turning a blind eye. Ditto the waste management authorities.

Well in my neck of the woods, the local authority are very proactive (some would say aggressive) in checking up on businesses to ensure rates are being levied. They are also very proactive in relation to illegal dumping, unauthorised burning of rubbish etc.

Certainly if a business is being operated in full public view (ie alongside a road as against behind closed doors) it would be hard to imagine the rates guys turning a blind eye. Ditto the waste management authorities.
It's not an issue of turning a blind eye - it's purely that an assumption of knowledge isn't valid. They don't do comprehensive street by street compliance checks on all areas of local authority involvement! And while I know that some of the waste management enforcement teams (for example) are very active, they're targetting particular sectors proactively, but they also respond to complaints.

Back