Cars (many) outside house

Thrifty1

Following on from an earlier post, i am looking for advice also. I am moving into a new house in a few weeks. It is a new private estate just outside a small town. We have noticed on our many trips there while it is being built that a house across the road has about 10 cars parked outside.

They are probably cars being bought and sold by the owner, but most of them just look like scrap, they are filthy and some have been there months at least.

The are parked in the garden and also on the grass verge at the side of the road.

They are a terrible eye sore and really detract from the area.

There are about 5 other houses on this side of the road also.

Is there anything we can do about getting them moved when we move in?

Thanks.

No we havent, we dont know who is living there or what the circumstances are.

To be honest i dont think i would, they may not be at all forthcoming and could cause problems.

Id rather go down the anonymous route just in case.

It might be worth your while as a first step to find out whether the property is rented.
Was there a clause in your purchase contract that restricts the type of business that can be run from the house?

Its not a house in the estate its at the entrance on the opposite side of the road.

Its an older type house, probably about 5 of them in total, the rest are grand but this has a load of rust buckets parked outside.

In my opinion you probably could have them moved by using some fomr of local authority legislation.
Doing this in a small estate however, you are likely to be found out as the instigator.
Could make life more hassle than it is worth.

If you lived there and the cars appeaered I would have sympathy but you have bought knowing the are there and are going to move in and try and make changes on a resident who has been there before you.

I just would not have bought here if I had an issue with something.

Have you talked to any of the other residents in your estate. I have a similar problem on the service road that I live on. It looks like the only way to have it solved is to have our service road made a resident only parking area. You would need to contact your local council about having that done. This is a big problem in alot of estates with people parking cars and geting public transport on to work in Dublin.
If the cars are just scrap I am sure your local council could have them removed.

Speak to your local community garda and seek their advice. They will know the best approach.

They are probably cars being bought and sold by the owner, but most of them just look like scrap, they are filthy and some have been there months at least.

If someone is carrying on a business on a residential premises that could be a local authority issue.

Thanks, i think the local auth might be the way to go alright, it looks to be a small scrap yard so hopefully they will help.

I wasn't (intentionally) being funny. I was just giving a straight answer to your seemingly basic question. What were you advised when you asked at your local station? Perhaps is of some use?

Thanks Clubman for those links. Will suggest those at our next resident's meeting. The Garda Station just told me that they had no community guard in the area I live in.

Is there a Neighbourhood Watch or Community Alert scheme in operation? Surely they have somebody to liaise with the local community even if there is no dedicated community Garda?

That is a possibility that I was just considering myself. If the vehicles are parked on the owner's own land and don't fall foul of any relevant littering/eyesore regulations then that would seem to be the case.

I would have thought that '10 cars' that 'look like scrap' would suggest that there is an 'eyesore' issue at least and it would certainly bother me.

The original post is not totally clear and there could be some subjectivity to this:
Probably best to contact the relevant local authority first as mentioned above.

Back