Carers Benefit & Redundancy & Work

149oaks

I've been made redundant which takes effect from next Friday Apr 8. As my wife has to go for (more) surgery I applied for Carers benefit from the 8th. I've taken this before and so all the conditions are met. Now I've been offered some short term work (3 - 6 months) in another company and I can start on Monday the 11th. However we haven't bottomed out if I will become a short term employee or be self employed. As we still don't have surgery dates I was hoping to take up this work offer but I'm wondering what the implications might be on my Carers Benefit.
2 things spring to mind:
- I know I have to be employed for 8 weeks out of the previous 26 so if I took the work as self employed I'd have to be careful with dates.
- On the other hand though if I was a temporary employee I wouldn't be entitled to apply for Carers Leave, but would I be still entitled to carers Benefit?

Anyone got an insight to this - I just want to be careful. I do know that within 6 months my wife will be have surgery and I will need to provide full-time care and attention for a few months afterwards.

Back