Carers Allowance/Benefit

R

ros395

Hi, wonder if someone can help with this query. My husband & I look after his dad - cook, clean, medication basically everything but we do not live with him. He had a slight stroke afew years ago & been in & out of hospital regularly but he is mobile. We were told recently we should be receiving carers allowance but have never claimed anything & doing this for the last 3 years. He has a farm which he can't work so my husband does that. He receives pension from his work and grants for farm - we get none of this. My husband is self employed & I work part-time. Query is does the money my father in law receives be taken into account with the carers allowance/benefit or is it just what my husband & I earn.
Any help appreciated because we have always worked & find it very hard to find out any information as we do not know the system.

See here for Carer's Allowance, which is means tested: http://www.welfare.ie/publications/sw41.html

The Carer's means are any income the Carer or his/her spouse/partner have e.g. earnings, an occupational pension or pensions/benefits from another country or an asset such as property (except family home) which could bring in money or provide the Carer with an income.

Carer's Benefit http://www.welfare.ie/publications/sw49.html is based on PRSI contributions which you probably are paying as P/T worker.

Carers must pass a means test and Father-in-Law must pass the medical test(as in need of constant care and attention)
All this information is in the sites suggested by the previous posters.

There is no mention of means test for Father- in-Law. The means test is on you and as you are a married person the combined means of you and spouse is taken into account. However if the combined means is above the level disregarded you may still be entitled to a part payment. The part payment would entitle you to the extra Benefits (Free Travel & perhaps Household Benefit Package)

Respite Grant should be available regardless of income

See Budget 2008 for improvements in the payment and means test.

Back