Car insurance - fully comp or 3rd party?

Voda

I am due to renew my insurance in the coming weeks. I have a one litre 2001 car that is only worth probably 2-3k. Until now I've been getting fully comprehensive insurance, but am I wasting my money with an eight year old car? Should I just be getting 3rd party fire and theft?

What is the difference in the quote? It's probably not that much is it?

It's only about 40 euro I suppose. It's just I'm going on maternity leave soon and am trying to save every penny I can. Plus I was wondering if there was an unspoken rule that older cars simply don't need fully comp insurance (at least older ones that aren't worth very much)?!

I'd stay with comprehensive if you can. As well as being able to claim for own damage to your car, you will usually have extras on a comprehensive policy such as windscreen cover or better break down service than on a 3rd party fire & theft policy. Make sure to shop around for the best quotations available.

http://www.powerinsurances.ie

It's only about 40 euro I suppose. It's just I'm going on maternity leave soon and am trying to save every penny I can. Plus I was wondering if there was an unspoken rule that older cars simply don't need fully comp insurance (at least older ones that aren't worth very much)?!

Most companies include breakdown assist on their comp policies and some (if not all) will allow windscreen claims without affecting no claims bonus if the policy is comp cover

Of course if you have AA cover or something similar then the breakdown assist isn't really worth anything. Read your policy docs carefully to see what 'extras' you are getting for the €40 and make up your own mind if you feel it is worth it

Back