Motor car insurance for 2 cars

lipso

hi
have a 01 focus diesel insured under my name with wife as named driver and also daughter who has a learner permit.I have full ncb.
Have bought a 2nd car, 02 nissan micra 1.0.

wondering what is the best and cheapest option to insure the 2nd car?
My wife has 20 years named driver experience (claims free) on my insurance. We are both in 50s and daughter is 26.

You need to seek out quotes, whilst you do not state it I think your daughter may well be driving the 2nd car, If so try Aviva, they do a good offer on accompanied driver cover, I used it for my son and it is very good, it covers the cost of the obligatory lessons and provides six months free accompanied driver cover, plenty of time for the young person to practice.

Obviously 2nd car is for daughter. She should insure in her name and begin to earn her own NCB. If she is a teacher/nurse then their unions tend to have good starter schemes. If she was named under your own policy, then she may get a discount from your insurers.

Don't tell insurer that you/wife are main driver if you are not.

thanks. the 2nd car is for my wife and daughter.My daughter has a learner permit for a year and is currently insured on the main car as a named driver.
She practices learning to drive in the main car and has a 1 hour lesson per week with an instructor.

Once your wife is the main driver of the second vehicle, you could look for quotes under her name with your daughter as a named driver, your wife will get an introductory no claim bonus if she has been a named driver on your policy. You could also look at getting a mirrored NCB quote in your own name (a mirrored bonus is where a company gives you a like for like introductory bonus on a second vehicle) but that may cause issues with who is the main driver of both vehicles.

There are a number of broker only companies that offer it, kennco, setanta & wrightway as far as I can remember.

Back