Car insurance claim & effect on no claims bonus

K

k25

Just a question on car insurance claims and there effect on your no claims bonus.

I had a minor accident over two years ago which I had presumed was settled by now (following numerous conversations with my insurance company who stated that the third party had been issued with their cheque).

Since the accident I have renewed my car insurance on two occasions. The isurance company on both occasions stated that I had my full no claims bonus which was for 3 years on the first renewal then 4 years on the second occasion.

However I have since found out that the cliam is in fact not fully settled and following a summons from the third party i am required to apper in court in relation to this accident. I have been on to the insurance compnay and they have stated that they are unaware of this recent development.

I'm just wondering how does this leave me in relation to my no claims discount and insuance premium? Does this mean that the claim would have already have been taken into account by the insurance company or does it mean if the court case goes ahead that this will be like a second claim on my insurance, thus removing my no claims bonus?

Any advice or answers woudl be greatly appreciated.

It won't be treated as a second claim on your policy but the insurance company will reopen their file. Whether is has an effect on your no claims bonus and your premium depends on your bonus protection, this you need to clarify with your Insurers as each company have different structures. I would also ask for an explanation as to how it happened for your Insurers miss out on the latest developments on your case, not saying it can't happen but unusual that it should.

Hope this helps.

Back