Car insurance - can they not tell me about a claim against me?

shesells

Got my renewal notice today and see a claim outstanding against my "third party & other benefits". I was in an accident in August which the company decided I was at fault for (I disagree, the guy clipped me, waited 20 sconds then plowed into me). Anyway, the only claim I made was a hire car on my other benefits.

Part of the problem with the accident was the same company insured me and the other driver.

Is the claim outstanding likely to be my car hire or does it sound like the guy has made a claim? If so do I not have the right to be notified?

Really annoyed at the risk to my NCB, thankfully I protected it last year.

a claim is made against the driver, not the insurance company. The insurance company stands in your place and pays the money.

If a claim has been made, you should have been notified directly either by TP, his solicitor or PIAB. One woudl then expect your insurer to investigate the matter with you to cometo a decision on fault, unless it was quite clear that you were at fault.

Your insurer would consult with any witnesses, if they were identified and the gardai.

You say that the only claim you made was for car hire. did you repair your own car at your own expense? Did you put in a claim against other drivers policy? If not, why not, given that you feel you are in the right?

Could it be that there is Court proceedings outstanding and that as part of defence of driver you are claiming against, a Counter claim has been made? If that is the case, your solicitor should have informed you.

In a nutshell, if you do not know, then phone your insurer/broker and ask if a claim has been made and the current status of the claim.

Thanks!

It took a while today but finally got an answer. They left it as outstanding "in case the other party decided to make a claim" - which he hasn't and is very sensible not to! They've agreed to close it off and issue a new certificate of NCB and re-allow me to protect my NCB.

Related query.
If a person wants to claim from your insurance for alleged damage must they in the first instance write to you or can they simply bypass the defendant and go straight to the insurance company seeking compensation?

NO.

Claim is Ravima v Bond, not Ravima v Insurance company of Bond-007. Insurer indemnifies you.

In the first instance, letter of claim is sent to you, with usually, but not always copy to your insurers. In motor cases, where insurance is compulsory, copies would be sent, but for all non compulsory insurance, the solicitor and/or claimant would not necessarily know if you were insurer and/or the insurer and/or the policy number.

There are some quite specific instances when you can sue the insurer direct, but these are quite rare.

Back