Car Insurance and Accident

B

boxy

Hi everyone! someone took my sons keys of his car while he slept after a party last weekend and reversed it into another car causing damage to the other persons passenger door. The left rear of my sons car was also damaged. The gaurds were at the scene. The lad that drove my sons car done a runner but was got later. Who should pay for the damage that was done to both cars.

The Lad who was driving of course. It may have to go through court though if he's not willing to stump up the cash.
Get you son to call and explain the situation to his insurance company and also get him to get a copy of the Gardai report on the incident for proof it was not him driving. Has he spoken to the owner of the other car I'm sure if the were at the same party the other owner is aware that it was not your son driving.

Effectively, this stupid young boy stole a car and crashed it into another car. He was found after fleeing the scene, another offense. Thank God the guards were called as thats the shining light for your son. The boy who stole the car is responsible for all damages, should he refuse to pay them, your son has a case to sue.

I would ask him to re-evaluate his friendships carefully though - they dont sound like the nicest bunch of lads!!

Hi everyone thanks for all the replys. I spoke to the Garda who dealt with the incident and was told they are arresting this quy. My son spoke to his insurance company and was told he can put in his claim to get his car repaired seeing his car was stolen. I dont think my son should be out any money. His insurance premium will probably go up next year if he puts in a claim. Just wondering would the MIBI repair my sons car or should we just wait until we see if there is going to be a court case?

Insurance premiums tend not to go up over fire/theft claims (in my limited experience) the only seem to rise due to accidents. I would get the car repaired on your sons insurance policy MIBI is only there if the car or driver is uninsured and as the car is insured (and the insurance company seem to be paying out) MIBI won't cover. If your sons cover does increase substantially it may be worth a claim against the theif ( I would personally chalk it down to experience).

Hi thanks for that, but the driver of my sons car was uninsured, I am getting confused!

The Driver was uninsured but the car was insured and the insurance company are covering the cost of repair therefore no need for you to get MIBI involved. The only cost to your son may be increased premiums in the future.I think you have the result you wanted the car is getting repaired.

MIBI may need to be involved for the other car that was damaged if that car owners insurance company fail to payout. Your sons insurance company are most unlikely to cover the damage here.

Back