Car Insurance/Accident....2nd claim in 2 weeks....

• Thread starter Unregistered
  • Start date
U

Unregistered

Hi there, Im hoping someone can give me some advise here.

My brother had a bit of an accident 2 weeks ago, he went into the back of another car (dont know the exact details) anyway €2000 worth of damage done to his own car which he claimed for under his insurance.....person he hit as far as I know will be claiming also (very little damage done to her car.....his took the full blow) Then yesteday very unfortunately he was pulling into another lane and ended up scraping the side of someones car with his mirror! Other person has taken his insurance details to put in a claim.....my question is can my brother pay for the damage done, himself rather than the other person claiming off him?? Or, if the repair is going to cost him too much to pay himself and it has to go through the insurance, how does this leave him?? Obviously his premium is going to go up when he next renews, if theres another claim will he be able to renew his policy at all???? I'd be very grateful for some advise..... by the way although it sounds like hes some lunatic of a driver! hes not actually, hes a very competent and safe (normally!) driver...he has just been incredibly unfortunate. Thank you in advance.

He can pay for the damage himself if the person he drove into agrees to it.

All that should happen is that he loses his bonus, so gets a higher quote at next renewal. The second accident shouldn't make any difference to this.

Each accident will be treated seperately so for the first one i presume that he is going to let it go through his insurance.

However he must insist that his insurer get an assessor to view the third party vehicle to make sure that the repairs are not excessive.

In relation to this first claim the third party might also put in for an injury claim so i would try (if possible) to speak with them 9Third party) to make sure that his insurer is not holding up payment as this can sometimes be the cause of further injury claims.Unfortunately no verbal agreement is worth anything when it comes to denying injury, peoples have 2 years to claim so you are at the persons mercy.

In relation to the second accident it is very simple , contact the other person and get the estimate from them and if it is agreable pay the them.
Whether or not they have reported to your insurer is of no concern unless their is a claim against the policy , so if you pay them direct (and dont give them hassle) that accident will not go against you.

Likewise if the third party is unwilling to deal with you (why on earth not ?) well then ask your insurer to forward you the request from the TP to send the cheque to the TP or reimburse your own insurer after they have paid out the claim.
It has nothing to do with the other persons agreement who pays them once they get paid.

Thank you all. I will print this page out and give it to him to read.

many thanks again, your advise it very much appreciated.

Anne

I sourced some quotes for 'minor damage' done unto me recently.
The other driver advised that he didn't want to go through insurance

All of the crash repair companies told me that eventually the other party nearly always ends up going through insurance because of how expensive quotes to fix scrapes and bangs are.

True enough other party went through insurance when showed the 3 quotes I had received.

if you are in the classic fender bender and someone makes a claim against you, is it simply that you lose whatever no claims bonus you had built up, or will your insurance be loaded in addition to that?
lets say preaccident you had insurance that cost €400. (Say the cost was really €800 but you had 50% no claims)

Will your insurance after a claim be simply the full 800 because you have lost your no claims, or will it end up being like 1300 because it is being loaded?

Always worth taking out no claims bonus/step back protection to keep your bonus intact.

Contradiction or what! - take out insurance to protect your insurance!

Rip Off Ireland Lives On!

last october a great big hairy alsation ran across the road in front of me and although I almost stopped non the less when I checked out the damage I couldnt believe it. Bumper split in three places ( and number place broken).went to dealer ( toyota) and was quoted unbelievable price for replacement. Got the name of a person who took the bumper off and took it to a person who welds( didn't believe it could be done) plastic bumpers and another who sprays when the bumper is repaired. He then put the bumper back on ( approx 1 week later) and total cost =
repair to bumper €40 ( actually it was stg £25 as it was repaired in Armagh)
spray bumper €80
parts from main dealer ( bolts and washers etc ) €10
and labour €70
never so glad of nixer men in my whole life
this total cost was less that 20% of what I was originally quoted and it's perfect.
the dog struggled to his feet and limped away, bit bald on the rear rump I would say judging by the amount of hair he left on the bumper. but he is ok as I have seen him since at the same spot. So not alone is insurance a rip off so are garages. Allowing for overheads and tax etc there should not have been a difference of over €1,000, mainly caused because they dealer wanted to replace the bumper. ( There's a code inside all plastic bumpers which informs these repairmen what kind of compound to use for repairs- you learn something new everyday)

Back