Car Crash

P

pento

4 weeks ago I was in a car crash. I was driving on a straight road and all of a sudden I was hit by a car on my side. It's a very bad road (potholes, no markings etc). I was overtaking a child who was on my side of the road and the other car was coming out of a cul-de-sac. He left the scene before the garda arrived and got his wife who was not in the car to tell the garda what he said had happened. His wife told the garda that I was overtaking a car and he never saw me coming. I was driving a really big black jeep and it was in the middle of the day. Anyway he is not admitting liability nor am I. €10000 it's cost me to have my jeep fixed and i'm claining from my own insurance for the time being. He rang me a couple of days after the accident teling me the cost of his repairs and when could I pay him. I asked him why he said I was overtaking a car and he said I though you were. I told him to speak to my solicitor. His insurance company have sent me a letter saying based on what the investigating garda had said they were not admitting liability. I haev yet to give a written statement to the garda which is being done soon. I really need advise here?

As you are claiming from your own insurance company anyway I assume that your no claims bonus will be effected. Just give the details of your insurance company to the other driver and let them sort out the issue of who is at fault.

Well I have to for the moment otherwise I won't get my jeep fixed and yes no claims will be gone.....6 years. We did exchange details so fingers crossed.

No need to cross your fingers. Even if the claim goes against you the insurance company will pay and they can do nothing worse than lose you your no claims bonus.

speak to your solicitor before you make the statement. You are not obliged to make one, but if you do, make sure that you do not lay blame on yourself and try to muddy the waters blaming everything else.

From your posting, I thing that at best liability (blame) will be apportioned 9shared) between you. You were overtaking, therefore somewhat on the incorrect side of the road. Other chap was entering main road.

Back