Car abandoned in my front garden It has number plates, tax expired 2007, no insurance

Re: Car abandoned in my front garden

It shouldn't have to cost the OP money by hiring a solicitor or taking a civil action.

Get rid. Quickly.

I couldn't agree more. However, for the sake of disccussion what would be the correct legal route of solving this problem?

It just cannot be that a route exists to determine the culprit while the victim is stuck with the aggrevation/cost.

Leaving aside what they did or are likely to do what exactly are the Gardai obliged to do in this situation?

It makes no sense to me that they cannot do anything or that as said before they cannot do anything because 'it is on private property'. If a car drives into a private driveway and damages a stationary car and then drives away do they also do nothing assuming that the reg of the culprit has been noted?

Refer back to Towger's advice and just get rid of the problem by moving the car from its present location to a public place where both the Gardai and the local authority will then have to become involved and problem solved.

But taken logically isn't the victim now committig an offence? He is dumping the car in a public place.

I would also add that my advice came from the Guards and has been done on practice, after the ower's name and address was supplied by the guards and written to etc..
This is quite worrying as the Gardai have handed over personal information to a member of the public . They cannot know if one will write to the owner or visit him with a hatchet! Dare I say, it comes across that the Gardai do not want to be bothered. Hence my question above what are they obliged to undertake?

Re: Car abandoned in my front garden It has number plates, tax expired 2007, no insur

Have you ever seen ads in a papers where scrap merchants remove unwanted cars free?

Re: Car abandoned in my front garden It has number plates, tax expired 2007, no insur

to repeat earlier advice I would not recommend moving this car anywhere. Your local council should collect it or arrange it's collection on request.

If you do move it onto a public place you have committed offences under Section 3 of Litter Pollutiyon Act 1997 and possibly under S 71 of the Waste Management Act 1996.

Even more importantly if someone is injured in any way involving this vehicle so moved, you could be a defendant in any legal action

It would be necessary to prove the OP actually moved the car. Good luck with that.

to repeat earlier advice I would not recommend moving this car anywhere. Your local council should collect it or arrange it's collection on request.

Yawn, council won't touch it on private property, unless you own it, cross their hand with gold and have the Log Book/paperwork.

Back