Captain Kirk experiences weightlessness

Duke of Marmalade

I am sure William Shatner did indeed experience weightlessness on his journey where no 90 year old has gone. But not because he was 60 miles above the surface. The Earth's gravity is minutely less at that height than it is on the surface. The following typical coverage is therefore scientifically incorrect.
“Metro newspaper” said:
A video from Blue Origin has now been shared, showing the star floating around at zero gravity alongside others on board.
But I presume his return journey involved a period of free fall and that is an equivalent experience to weightlessness. Note that astronauts in orbit feel weightlessness. That is not because they are in zero gravity but because they are in
constant free fall. They are travelling so fast that they never actually do fall to Earth, just as the Moon doesn't fall to Earth even though it is pulled there by gravity.
Sorry for the nerdish post.

Last edited:
And I think we should be thankful that all crew members returned safely with him, even those in red shirts... unlike any of Kirk's missions on USS Enterprise.

I am sure William Shatner did indeed experience weightlessness on his journey where no 90 year old has gone. But not because he was 60 miles above the surface. The Earth's gravity is minutely less at that height than it is on the surface.
Yes

But I presume his return journey involved a period of free fall and that is an equivalent experience to weightlessness. Note that astronauts in orbit feel weightlessness. That is not because they are in zero gravity but because they are in
constant free fall.
Yes

They are travelling so fast that they never actually do fall to Earth.
I think this only applies in Norn Iron.

just as the Moon doesn't fall to Earth even though it is pulled there by gravity.
It's the 'just as' that gets me.

Sorry for the nerdish post.
But they are the best kind.

Back