cancellation of a contract

dannymitchel

As a first time home buyer, I purchased an apartment of the plans and paid a 10% deposit. The apartment is now complete and I have not closed. The reason for this is due to a number of defects with the apartment which I believe is not of merchantable quality. The finish throughout is unprofessional and im not the only person who has a problem with the apartment building. I wont go into the details of the engineers report. My main question: is it possibe to terminate a contract and get my deposit back? I have spoken to a solicitor but im still unsure.I feel like this is impossible and that I am at the mercy of the developers who could not care less.

Without seeing the contract its hard to say, but in general, no you cannot easily get out of the contract, if at all.

If you are not sure based on what your solicitor told you then you should seek further clarification. If you are still not sure then you should probably seek a second opinion from another solicitor.

Are you sure that the defects merit cancellation of the contract - e.g. are they structural or superficial (which, while annoying, is something that many people just have to accept if not sorted at the snagging phase I'm afraid).

The defects are structural. Dampness being the main culprit. There are also a lot of superficial defects, generally poor craftmanship, for example window panes are scraped. Half the development are refusing to close and this is 6 months post completion date.

Don't new builds have to be inspected by some official to ensure that they comply with building regulations/standards? Not sure if this is separate from the issuance of a floor area cert? Might be worth inquiring about this and if it has happened in this case?

Back