Can you quit after taking maternity leave?

They treated me very badly before this not paying for overtime etc . demanding extra work for no extra pay ..

Wow, poor you - sounds like something from a Dickens novel!

So i think the naswer to your question is Yes but get all you can first !!!

Still, you obviously got your own back! well done you! :rolleyes:

Just out of interest, OP doesn't seem to have been as badly treated as you have obviously been, do you still propose the same advice? i.e get all you can first?

Agree it is people like that who ruin it for everybody else. When I started in my job, it was made clear to me no paid maternity leave because people had previously milked the system.

This sort of attitudes puts employers off employing women of child bearing age.

I am actually quite shocked that someone would boast about doing it.

Agree it is people like that who ruin it for everybody else. When I started in my job, it was made clear to me no paid maternity leave because people had previously milked the system.

This sort of attitudes puts employers off employing women of child bearing age.

I am actually quite shocked that someone would boast about doing it.

Agreed. A policy where you have to work for three years (before or after) to be entitled to pay for each term of leave might actually work out fairer. People would then have to pay back their paid leave if they left immediately it and hadn't 'worked up' the three years in advance. It would encourage small businesses to offer leave to loyal employees and ensure that women who are planning to stay in employment were more likely to get paid maternity leave.

It would also help in the cases that have been raised here recently where pregnant women were nervous about revealing their pregnancy during an interview for the job that they had been aiming for for years and intended on staying in for a long time.

Agreed. A policy where you have to work for three years (before or after) to be entitled to pay for each term of leave might actually work out fairer. People would then have to pay back their paid leave if they left immediately it and hadn't 'worked up' the three years in advance. It would encourage small businesses to offer leave to loyal employees and ensure that women who are planning to stay in employment were more likely to get paid maternity leave.

It would also help in the cases that have been raised here recently where pregnant women were nervous about revealing their pregnancy during an interview for the job that they had been aiming for for years and intended on staying in for a long time.
It would also put unscrupulous employers in a position to treat these female employees badly over that three year period, given the potentially large debt left hanging over their heads.

No wonder the country has gone upside down - the attitude of Minkydog and then to find out that she is a teacher. Great grammar and excellent phrasing. Just as well she was at home, paid for three years and wasn't teaching MY children. :rolleyes:

I'm assuming you got a private message/warning, ticking you off for that remark, Piek Trum. Don't you know you're not allowed to 'abuse' other posters over their poor grammar and spelling :rolleyes:

Purple your comment: "Simply being employed by a company does not mean that you are contributing to the generation of their profits. "

Wow Purple, must be great to work in your org. That would create far more of an 'us and them' attitude than anything that I have mentioned. You spout lot's of blurb about having a nice place to work, yet some of the staff don't contribute to the bottom line, whereas others do...........must be a very tiered org indeed. God help those that you look down on who are on the bottom rung!!!!! As far as we are concerned everyone contributes to the org.

Why do you assume that anyone not contributing to the bottom line is “on the bottom rung”? In my experience people at all levels are capable of coasting/incompetence/dossing. Also, why do you think I was referring to my own place of work?

If I’ve touched a nerve then I apologise, it was not my intention.

A friend of mine took maternity leave from her company knowing full well that she wouldn't be returning at the end; she justified it that she had worked there for eight years previous and she should be entitled to "something back".

Also where I work there was a case recently where a girl was made redundant and it was subsequently revealed that she was pregnant; as a result she stayed on until the baby was born and then paid maternity leave for 6 months and then officially made redundant.

A friend of mine took maternity leave from her company knowing full well that she wouldn't be returning at the end; she justified it that she had worked there for eight years previous and she should be entitled to "something back".
Did they not pay her each week/month?

Also where I work there was a case recently where a girl was made redundant and it was subsequently revealed that she was pregnant; as a result she stayed on until the baby was born and then paid maternity leave for 6 months and then officially made redundant.
If the company was not aware that she was pregnant then it should not have been an issue.

Did they not pay her each week/month?

If the company was not aware that she was pregnant then it should not have been an issue.

Don't get me wrong, I am not on the side of either of these girls even though one is my freind. I am just showing examples of what can happen.

So what should she do instead - resign and lose even the state maternity benefit? We don't even know if the company topped her pay up or not.

She may of course have changed her mind and decided to stay in work after the baby was born - why should she limit her options? Maternity provisions are protected by legislation for a reason. I am surprised by the tone of some of the posts here. I have worked since I left college, had two children and in my experience the majority of my female colleagues are entirely professional. It is not inherently unethical to have a child, although you would think it was a crime against employers from the tone of some of the posts here.

My understanding is that redundancy is activated after maternity leave is over, and with good reason. How easy is it to jobhunt when 8 months pregnant? Or with a young baby? Also, the legislation protects women from redundancy by reason of pregnancy. Again, with good reason.

I can understand that there will always be employees, male and female, who will take the mickey. However, I despair at the hostility of some of the posts here.

I first went on maternity leave Sept 2006 had baby in november then on the day I was due back where was i ?? in hospital as I really sick expecting second baby. Went on sick leave then immediatly into maternity leave then took all the holidays due to me (tons by the way don't forget to add on the bank holidays) then I took parental leave for both kids and then I gave in my notice. Basically I left in sept 2006 but stayed on the books and got bonuses etc until March 2009. So i think the naswer to your question is Yes but get all you can first !!!

That is what I call milking the system. This sounds like a really well thought out plan...maybe a bit too much in my opinion....

public sector pay is deducted by the amount of maternity benefit paid by social welfare so it is wrong to assume that all public sector workers on maternity receive full pay...

I first went on maternity leave Sept 2006 had baby in november then on the day I was due back where was i ?? in hospital as I really sick expecting second baby. Went on sick leave then immediatly into maternity leave then took all the holidays due to me (tons by the way don't forget to add on the bank holidays) then I took parental leave for both kids and then I gave in my notice. Basically I left in sept 2006 but stayed on the books and got bonuses etc until March 2009. So i think the naswer to your question is Yes but get all you can first !!!

I suspect that it was this post that instigated the hostile replies! - understandable imo

Back