Can relative's Eircom shares be sold without share certificate?

bazwaldo

Hi,

While clearing out a relatives belongings who has passed away we found statements from Vodafone dated 2018 relating to Eircom shares. There were also some old dividend cheques which I'm sure have expired at this stage, but never cashed in.

Anyone know how the shares can be sold? The statement contains the Shareholder Reference Number, but we don't have a proper share certificate. Also, can expired cheques be re-issued by someone?

Thanks

Thanks for the link. I did google this for quite a while and didn't find anything useful. The process sounds horrible but at least it's a start. I may not be in as bad a position as the person in the article as I have the reference number.

Cheques don't expire - but the account they are drawn on may be closed which would make it difficult to cash them

I rang a number from the letter from Vodafone in 2018 and it was an automated response saying that everything had moved from compushare to equiniti. So I'll try contact them. https://www.shareview.co.uk/4/Info/Portfolio/Default/en/Home/Pages/Home.aspx. They also have bereavement support which seems the best place to start.
I have been dealing with Equinity lately in relation to getting some Vodafone paper share certs converted to electronic form and have found them good to deal with if a little slow. They've explained the process to me how to convert the paper certs into a Corporate Sponsored Nominee account (they sent me a form to be filled in and returned with the share certs) and how to sell my shareholding via their dealing service obviating the need to deal with another broker if I so choose.

From memory (used to deal with these a bit) if they are in someone else’s name I think even if you manage to find out if the holding exists you must submit grant of probate and have holding transferred into executors name in order to sell them. Back in the early 2000s it was a tricky process with bags of paperwork, signatures, back and forth etc. I’m sure it’s more simplified now

Back