Can I send a text message via GoMo from my laptop?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
Some time ago I used to use Cabbage for sending text messages, but it seemed to stop working. I think I was with O2 at the time.

If I want to send a longish text , it's better to touch type than mess around with my phone.

Is there an easy way to do it?

Brendan

Don't know what GoMo offer but if it's a one off task or rare task you could send an email to your phone and copy and paste the text from email client on the phone to your text messaging app. Could also use WhatsApp on your laptop.

Not ideal if you want to do this regularly.

When people send me essays by What's App, I reply from the What's App on my laptop.

I hadn't thought of cut and paste. That would be a workaround, but it might be quicker just texting directly.

Brendan

With eir you can send web-text messages from your account on their website to mobile numbers. Do GoMo have anything similar?

Most phones/apps come with a 'voice typing' option. When you go to your text, whatsapp or email app and click into the text box the keyboard appears so you can start typing - above the keyboard are various options such as emojis, clipboard for pasting etc., and there should also be a 'voice type' option. It might not be visible and could be in an options menu (3 vertical dots or lines). Once found you may have to give the keyboard app permission to access the microphone if it's not enabled. My phone is a Sony and obviously not all phones are alike so you may have to hunt for it but the tech should be available on most phones from the last few years especially androids.

If you have Gmail on your phone and laptop, select the text, click the three dots on top right of the message app, select "share" select "Gmail" - then email it to yourself.

Is this what you are saying.

1) Read the long text I have received on my phone
2) Go to my laptop and type a reply.
3) Email the reply from my laptop to myself via gmail
4) Open the email on my phone
5) Copy and paste it into the text reply

I might just continue to reply: "SMS = Short Message Service. For essays, please email me." But people seem to think that is rude?

Brendan

Sorry, I thought you were looking for an alternative to Cabbage for audio/voice typing.
I think Eir and Vodafone are the only providers that still support computer/webtexting.
You could cut out one of the 5 steps above by using a saved draft rather than emailing it to yourself. You could also save the document from your computer to your Google Drive and then attach the whole document to a WhatsApp message on your phone using the 'paperclip'/attach option.

If you have a PC, the Microsoft myPhone app allows you to type a response to an sms on the PC and send it as well. You connect your phone to the app via bluetooth (and maybe wifi, not sure)

Same with the WhatsApp PC app - you can read and reply using the PC

Sent a text to GoMo as to whether I could send txts from my laptop, answer below.

Hi! Unfortunately we do not have a webtext service.

Hi jpd
That sounds like what I am looking for. I searched and couldn't find it on my pc. Do I have to download it from somewhere?

Does it work with my iPhone?

Brendan

If you have Windows 10 you can click the 'Your Phone' app from the start menu or use the search box to find it. I haven't registered mine but it does ask which type of phone I'd like to use, Android or iPhone, so presume you can use either

Open the Yourphone app on your computer and follow the instructions. You've installed Edge on the phone so tick the 'Yes I finished installing Edge on my iPhone' and click continue on your computer. I can't help any further as I don't have an iphone. You'll probably be prompted to sign into your microsoft account on the phone. According to Microsoft not all the features will be available with iPhones - apparently it's really designed for Android but hopefully that will change over time.

They're linked now so you should be able to sync and file share. When you connect the phone to the computer does it ask you to 'select what happens with this device'? If so then click it and see your options.
Apple says they use the itunes app for syncing and file sharing but I don't know if that is seperate to or in conjunction with the Yourphone app. I can't post links so you'll have to Google.

Back