Can I post sports results and fixtures on my website without permission from anyone?

J

joslo

Hi, I am thinking of setting up a website for sport fans containing results, fixtures and league tables. I am going to be entering data myself from what i see during games but it has been suggested that i need permission from the league organisers. I would have thought if i was not stealing the content from other sites i would be allowed. The site would be free to view but i may look to sell some ad space on it so I would make money from it. Does anyone know for sure?

How many games can you get to yourself? It's hard to see that your content will be attractive if you are limited the results and fixtures you see yourself.

My understanding is that fixtures for things like the Premier League are copyrighted so if you publish the entire list, you may be in breech. I believe bookies for example, have to pay a fee.

Thank you Mpsox, that was very helpful. I have contacted the sporting body in question and requested permission.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...89/Yahoo-sued-over-football-fixture-list.html

I seem to recall a story from Mary Hannigan's Plant Football column a few years ago where one (Arsenal?) fan was contacted by the PL to be told that he had to remove the fixtures from his website because they were copyrighted. In a very enterprising move he went and copyrighted all of Arsenal's fixtures for the following season in a bid to stop the PL from being allowed use them. I presume he lost though.

Hi, I am thinking of setting up a website for sport fans containing results, fixtures and league tables. I am going to be entering data myself from what i see during games but it has been suggested that i need permission from the league organisers. I would have thought if i was not stealing the content from other sites i would be allowed. The site would be free to view but i may look to sell some ad space on it so I would make money from it. Does anyone know for sure?

I think you need to review your ambitions here - relaying results is not an USP.
The only kind of content that you are definitely not steling is content you write yourself.
Readers of your website may come for the results, but they'll stay for an incisive commentary and words worth reading.

Become good enough and you may be able to syndicate your work to mainstream media.
If writing words endless isn't your thing, don't be afraid to tie in with someone who's thing it is.

Develop one year, three-year and five-year business plans.
The whole money-from-website clicks thing has lost its shine for advertisers over the years.
Most advertising companies are wise to all the pup up, pup under, click through and referring tricks to bump up the counters.

Become a content provider as opposed to a relay station, would be my strong advice - but take complainer's comments on board, because you can only see so much yourself.
Specialize in a sport or a team at first, perhaps set up two competing websites for different teams to generate interest, offer memberships [although monitoring and control take time too], that sort of thing.

Consider letting us know on AAM how you get on.

ONQ.

Back