can I open a uk bank account?

Coll

I looking for some advise. I do a lot of travel to the uk for work. So I take sterling out through the hole in the wall and pay bank charges. Can I open a uk bank account and have starling logged into it(by my employer) to reduce the charges for withdrawing starling using my irish atm card. ?

You must have an address in the UK. You must also produce utility bills in your name for that address to the bank.

Hi there,

You could contact National Irish Bank - I am sure NIB will open a bank account in Northern Ireland for you even if you do not have an address in that jurisdiction.

You can transfer between that and an Irish account held at National Irish Bank without any fees, excl currency conversion/exchange rates, but not the standard 12 euro.

Ask in your local branch for details or give them a call.

Also, I am not 100% sure, but I think the sort codes in NI can work in the UK if your employer wants to pay you by EFT.

Also, I am not 100% sure, but I think the sort codes in NI can work in the UK if your employer wants to pay you by EFT.

NI sortcodes are part of the UK clearing system as per any "mainland" UK bank, however for logistical reasons, paper payments and cheques between NI and the rest of the UK usually take a day longer to clear

Good idea Kimmage.
Also NIB are becoming a paperless transaction bank only.... in March of this year.

Ulster Bank will do it as well. My own branch opened a current account for me in the Newry branch, I use it for annual subs etc.

Good idea Kimmage.
Also NIB are becoming a paperless transaction bank only.... in March of this year.

NIB are becoming a cashless bank only, not a paperless one. They will still accept cheques

Sorry Mpsox you are absolutely correct.......I should have said cashless.

NI sortcodes are part of the UK clearing system as per any "mainland" UK bank, however for logistical reasons, paper payments and cheques between NI and the rest of the UK usually take a day longer to clear

Hi Mpsox,

Sorry for asking this and I hope I dont complicate things!

The NIB sort codes in Northern Ireland (Northern Bank) are 95-xx-xx - would the local NIB not be able to just open a STG account?

I notice on my statements it states "Account Currency - EUR" So I am just wondering why the Irish banks with NI sort codes cant just add an account in STG in your local branch?

I heard Bank of Ireland College Green have some type of Currency Services but I am not sure what they do and if Its only for business customers.

Good idea Kimmage.

Hi Ann1

Thanks! Personally, I dont know how I feel yet about this, what confuses me is, Cash is legal tender why then are they trying to phase it out?

Of course, I know this will be of great help combating the tiger raids on innocent bank staff and cash-in-transit personnel.

I drove up to Newry about 5 months ago. Brought 2 bills and my passport, and had my current account number in my hand five minutes after i entered the bank..

Kimmage
NIB are planning to close 25 branches and cut staff by 25% over the next 18 months so I suppose cashless transactions just follows. We have banked with them for years but we have just recently opened new accounts with another bank. Our reason for changing is that we like having the option of cash banking.

You must have an address in the UK. You must also produce utility bills in your name for that address to the bank.

INCORRECT

You do not need to have an address to open a UK Bank Account. The easiest way to open a UK Bank account is to have your Irish Bank provide a reference to one of their branches in the UK.

INCORRECT

You do not need to have an address to open a UK Bank Account. The easiest way to open a UK Bank account is to have your Irish Bank provide a reference to one of their branches in the UK.

Thank mercman

Can you tell me more that sound very easy. so would this would work with say the halifax,?

Quite simple. On the basis that your accounts are in order over here, walk into a Halifax over there with your Passport, two origin al Utility Bills and a current Bank Statement, and advise the new Bank of where you currently Bank and they will follow matters for you. If they say No, then they are too lazy.

I tried to open a UK bank account because my pension is paid in Sterling. None would do it with an Irish address so I had to use my daughters UK address. You can open a Sterling account in Ireland.

I tried to open a UK bank account because my pension is paid in Sterling. None would do it with an Irish address so I had to use my daughters UK address. You can open a Sterling account in Ireland.

As i posted above, i did it in Ulster bank in newry, no problem..

You can only open a sterling account in Ireland with extreme difficulty. Otherwise there is usually no problem opening an account in the UK.

Coll
Sorry if I gave you incorrect information. I was going on our own experience. My husband is English and we visit family there quite often. Like you we use our ATM card to withdraw money and pay the charges. Last year we tried to open a Barclays bank account and were declined as we did not have utility bills to match the address on my husbands English driving licence. We must try again.

Back