Can i have a couple of pensions from employments

roytheboyo

Please consider following:
Person has pension from semi state company (say 15 years)
Person then moves to public service and buys back years (say 25 years worked and 5 bought back)
Can that person then retire based on 45 (15+30) years service.
Can the first pension be left with original provider and public service pension treated totally separately, how do they interact when it comes to retirement?
Thanks,
Roytheboyo

No youll get one pension from your last employer and youll only get the max years you wont end up with 45 years service, it will be capped.

Assuming the pension is transferable. Pension mgt will look into your work history when you retire and verify your previous service

I have a list of transferable bodies if you want to pm me your old employer. is a pdf I cant attach it

Thanks for reply
My pension is transferrable to public sector if i want to.
At the minute i dont think i will, so i presumably would end up with two pensions when i retire. The reason i am not transferring is that the semi state company is solid, and it might be prudent to have a pension from two sources.
Does anyone have any thoughts on merits/demerits of this, also, AVC vs PRSA vs NSP for increasing pension. I am in my late 30s and want to retire in mid 50s if possible, on reduced pension.
Thanks

Interesting topic....

I left a semi state 8 years ago after 19 years.. Went straight to public sector

I wonder what happens my preserved pension at semi state?
Is this index linked? If so t what?

If I retire in 13 years will my old semi state pension have increased and by how much?

Also reading back on above posts...

19 years with semi state.. Are we saying once I do 21 years with public sector I may as well retire as my public sector pension is then capped?

Back