Can I avoid CGT when my property has too large a garden.?

nodo

Hope to put family home up for sale shortly. Total garden area is 1.136 acres , so worried I may have to pay CGT on my gain. If so, would this be on my total gain, or a proportion ( my calculation is about 13.6% ) of the total gain.

Could I avoid CGT by only selling one acre of garden with the house, and selling the remaining 0.136 acres either as a separate sale , or sell at a later date .

The 0.136 acres would be "landlocked" if the main garden was sold , and should be worth very little , as it would only be of interest to the new owner of the main property.

I will be grateful for any advice from viewers, before contacting my tax adviser. Thanking You, Nodo.

I did know this area a long time ago and have forgotten most except for the following;
- if you sell house & garden now, selling the remainder later will not qualify that latest part for CGT PPR relief
- perhaps mark out the 0.136 into an area where it has no chance of development because of your property in other 1 acre and price to sell at lowest price possible. Marking the PPR 1 acre as high a value as possible at the same time.

(fully happy for, and looking forward to someone better versed to correct me above)

Back