Can Executors of a will sell assets prior to Probate

Importer

I am currently involved in sorting out the will of a recently deceased relative.

Part of the estate includes a motor car. The Executors would like to sell the car immediately as its just sitting idle and is likely to deteriorate.

Is there anything wrong with the executors selling the car before probate is granted. Obviously the proceeds of the car sale will be retained by the executors for distribution to the beneficiaries once probate has been granted.

Thanks for your help

Common sense would suggest there should be no problem as there is not a legal trail like in the case of selling a property to be complied with.

I've sold a car in a similar circumstance. Provided the sale is fully above board and for full market value... i.e. not a cheap sale to a relative

I agree that it is an area where common sense should prevail over strict legal correctness. It would be wise to be fully open with the beneficiaries[1] and get their agreement to the transaction.

[1] In most cases, the beneficiaries whose agreement is important are those entitled to share in the residue.

Back