Can any Irish bank accept US ACH (domestic) transfers?

blorg

I know AIB used have a retail branch in New York but I believe they closed it.

I can do domestic US ACH transfers very cheaply and this is how I usually transfer money to Thailand. Bangkok Bank has a branch in New York- send it there and it pops up in your Thai bank account a couple of days later. Charges are really low, exchange rate is good.

Wondering if this is an option for any Irish bank. My main bank in Ireland is AIB and I can transfer to my account with them from the US but it is much more expensive. Particularly with the exchange rate. I'd probably be transferring $10-20k to try to minimise the charges.

And if not an Irish bank- any other EU options? Online accounts?

What currency are you transferring from and to? EUR to THB?

Retail banks charge high FX margins. The cheapest way to do an FX transfer is an online currency broker such as Currency Fair.

Source is USD in the US.

In Thailand I have both USD and THB accounts so I can transfer either with or without currency conversion. Currently in Ireland I only have EUR accounts. The exchange rate with the bank in Thailand into THB isn't quite as good as an online broker but it's still pretty good, the spread is under 1%, so 0.5% off mid market.

Anyway I'm happy with my options to transfer to Thailand, the question is about transferring to Ireland.

Key is that they accept domestic ACH transfers into an account with my name on it, which Bangkok Bank does. I don't believe the likes of Currency Fair have this option. In fact from a quick Google I think they stopped serving US customers at all.

If there are any other services that will do this, let me know, and I believe some may accept US direct bank transfers but the key is they would have to accept an ACH transfer to a bank account with my name on it- Bangkok Bank gives me a unique account number in New York for this. I can't add "advice" to the transfer as to who it should be credited to if going to a shared account.

Why do you need the money to only transfer to a bank account with your name on it? If CurrencyFair does not meet your needs, have you checked the other online services available? For example TransferMate, TransferWise, etc. I have used one of them and found it extremely simple and straightforward. The money transfer was easy to do and I had visibility of the transaction from end to end.

@so-crates- because that's the requirement from the source to do a free ACH transfer, and there is no facility to enter a "reference" or anything else to flag it as my money otherwise. I can only enter bank routing details and account number. I have looked at some of these services yes but the vast majority of them do not do business with or accept money from US ACH transfers, and those that do (like OXF) it goes into a common bank account, they don't provide a unique US bank account number for each client. That's the bit I need, and that Bangkok Bank provide for me, so I'm wondering if any Irish or other EU bank I could potentially open an account with can do this.

@so-crates- you have used one of these services to transfer from the US using a domestic ACH transfer specifically? Which one and I'll look into it.

Back