Can a minor protect his good name when defamed by another minor

If there is no criminal or civil action against your son, then don't extend the trauma by keeping the sore open.

Just get on with life.

The people who know about this - friends and neighbours - will have already made up their mind. Suing another minor for defamation, even if it's possible, won't do your son any good.

Brendan

The context is missing here. Has one minor made accusations against another minor of some type of assault? If the minor made a disclosure in confidence, I dont see how that could be defamation. Even if Tusla are involved thats not defamation.
Difficult to understand whats happening and provide advice, as I guess posts have been modified

The context is missing here. Has one minor made accusations against another minor of some type of assault? If the minor made a disclosure in confidence, I dont see how that could be defamation. Even if Tusla are involved thats not defamation.
Difficult to understand whats happening and provide advice, as I guess posts have been modified
Agreed. If it's for the purpose of making a good faith complaint to a relevant person in authority that's not defamation. If they are going round saying it to Tom, dick, and Harry at school to cause damage that could be.

But agree that depending on specifics, letting things go and moving on is likely the least traumatic long term solution as frustrating/unfair as it might be

This is the 4th year in a row the OP has come on this site asking for legal advice regarding children. Previously it related to sueing parents for bullying (2020), sueing parents for damage done to property (2021) and laws regarding ADHD (2022). I'm not saying this latest request isn't without merit but there is a pattern here and maybe the OP would do well to heed Brendans advice and just get on with life.

I had a situation a few years ago where my son was being hassled in school by one of his classmates. Nothing malicious but certainly persistent and encouraged by the gallery.

The school was pretty useless in response and said the only way to go was a formal complaint which they admitted would have implications for everyone involved and future reputations etc. The perpetrator was an otherwise solid guy who was just a bit immature and probably didn’t even realise the impact of his behaviour.

I suggested that rather than being accused, the perpetrator could be told that there were stories of my son being bullied and could he assist in the investigation because the consequences for the bully could be serious if it persisted. He would potentially face expulsion.

The bullying stopped. Problem solved. My son and the other guy are now in college together and get on famously. Glad I didn’t take the school’s advice.

There is a big difference between an adult assaulting a child and a child assaulting another child.

Brendan

Unless they were wearing GAA jerseys at the time, in which case it'll just be the one match ban.

Back