Camping in France

Thought 'le littoral' was a 4 star site and not a five star ?

Did stay there 2 years ago. Nice site.

Am looking at Le Littoral based on the advice here but there is an awful review on Trip Advisor relating to noise and aggression from teens on site, lack of camp curfew and ineffective security. I know one experience isn't representative but would like to know if any AAMers had a similar experience before I book!

Thanks

A.

Camping in France - pitstop betwen Roscoff and St. Jean De monts

Thanks for all the valuable info here.

We will be heading to Le Bois Dormant near St. Jean De Monts in 2 weeks time.
Ferry from Cork to Roscoff then driving down.

Can anybody recommend a good spot to stop for a break / lunch along the way.
The ferry arrives in Roscoff at 07:00 so I'm not sure if breakfast is served before you disembark or if it's more a case of tumble out of your bed and into the car!

Thanks again

Can anybody recommend a good spot to stop for a break / lunch along the way.
The ferry arrives in Roscoff at 07:00 so I'm not sure if breakfast is served before you disembark or if it's more a case of tumble out of your bed and into the car!

Hi

We travelled with Brittany from Cork to Roscoff & return and the breakfast was definitely available in the morning, but I didn't think it was that early in the morning! My advice to you would be to find a Supermarche/Intermarche/Carrefour outside Roscoff or along the way, you can usually see them from the dual carriageway, and buy some bread, cheese, croissants etc and have your breakfast or lunch at one of the many 'Aires' along the route, they're every few miles. Some of them have restaurants and they are quite good, if a little expensive. You can use the picnic areas there and the toilets even if you are not buying anything. For more 'fancy' food there are Relais Routiers and Buffalo Grill along the route but I have never stopped at one.

You will have a great time. Remember, do NOT drive into Nantes. You cut off towards the coast earlier and you cross a fabulous bridge, I think it is towards 'Pontchateau'. Anyone on here correct directions? Of course, I did not have satnav then!

BonVoyage, Slim

Breakfast is available on the boat but tbh, we dont bother with it really. We have 3 kids, so I bring juice, fruit, brioche, cereal bars in my cool bag and bring it up to the boat from the car on arrival on Sat. We have that for breakfast in the cabin before we head to the car. Then we stop for a quick cuppa in our hand in one of the motorway stops along the way, usually about 1.5 hours in the journey. Its a very easy drive to do, the roads are great. Do you have a sat nav? if you do you are laughing. You could be at your site by lunchtime anyway, so a few snacks along the way and you can have a nice lunch in St jean de monts!!!!
Do stop in a Super U or Intermarche along the way, most supermarkets close at 1 on a sunday, and its handy to have a few bits in for when you arrive. Enjoy, its a great holiday.

Last edited:
All these satnavs take the fun out of driving in France!

Where's your sense of adventure, getting lost, arguing with your wife, terrorizing the kids on narrow mountain roads and then making a fool out of yourself trying to take directions from a ninety year old French person whom you discover too late is a Romany and the field they directed you to is hosting their circus that evening?

:)

ONQ.

All these satnavs take the fun out of driving in France!

Where's your sense of adventure, getting lost, arguing with your wife, terrorizing the kids on narrow mountain roads and then making a fool out of yourself trying to take directions from a ninety year old French person whom you discover too late is a Romany and the field they directed you to is hosting their circus that evening?

:)

ONQ.

Yep. Been there, done that, got the T shirt!!

Thanks for the info....

Asked this in a seperate post so apologies but I seem to have some posters here with direct experience of our destination.

I will be travelling with my lower leg in a cast and on crutches due to a football injury.
Is there anything either campsite or ferry related I should be mindful of?

Should I make the ferry company or the campsite aware in advance?

Driving / insurance is sorted due to the generous loan of a spanking new BMW 520 with an automatic gearbox

Thanks

Thanks for the info....

I will be travelling with my lower leg in a cast and on crutches due to a football injury.
Is there anything either campsite or ferry related I should be mindful of?

Should I make the ferry company or the campsite aware in advance?
Thanks

You won't be popular in the stairwell as you return to your car in the morning! However, maybe you should call the ferry company so they could direct you to a lift from the car deck or suchlike.
Slim

Gosh, nothing in particular I can think of! The ferry does have quite narrow steps going from the car up to the passenger decks, but one inside you can use the lift everywhere around the boat. It also gets quite busy in the morning when people are going to their car, the corridors etc get quite packed with babies and buggys and baggage, so be mindful of that for your own comfort. They call each deck separately for disembarking, so stay in you cabin till you hear a definate call for your number. Another reason not to bother with brakfast in the restaurant, stay in the comfort of your cabin as long as you can.
Havent been to your particular site, but the sites are very user friendly, I do know from friends that Dormant is not huge, so thats good re walking around etc. i really cant see any problems you could run into tbh. Cycling might be a bit difficult tho!!! st jean de monts has everything you could possibly need for a very easy holiday.

Back