Buying out council - Affordable Housing

well if the council are overvaluing the property then why dont you go and get a few estate agents to come in and see what they would value the property at on the open market if you were to sell (obviously dont tell em its AH property). Just pretend that your thinking of selling and putting the property on the market, and when you have a few valuations then go back to DCC with the average valuation and ask them to prove just how in God's name they are coming up with the high values they seem to arrive with using their valuer

Hi Gazza,

I have went to 2 local estate agents prior to requesting a redemption figure from DCC, both valued the property and I paid for a valuation letter to send to DCC. They both came in at approximately €200,000, however, DCC didn't accept this and they valued the property at €240,000 WITHOUT coming to see the property.

Now, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out the reason why they done this. It's also very convenient that when the property boom was in full swing, when one requested a redemption figure DCC would accept the valuation letter of a local estate agent, and since the decline they moved the goal posts (in their own favour, obviously) so that THEIR valuers must give the valuation (conflict of interest or what?).

Hopefully this makes sense.

well if the council are overvaluing the property then why dont you go and get a few estate agents to come in and see what they would value the property at on the open market if you were to sell (obviously dont tell em its AH property).

Even if if he does so the Council are under no obligation to reduce their valuation accordingly. The Minister is taking a head-in-sand approach to this issue. However I think Nathan should do it anyway and send the comparisons on to the Ombudsman.

The new law does allow for the owner to select who does their valuation from a list of approved agents, rather than relying on the Council to do it. Not sure if this has come into effect though, or if it will apply to people who have already obtained a Council valuation.

Hi Guys,

Can anyone give me some advice? I'm at my wits end, I'm sick of living in this place with junkies and other local degenerates. I've been trying to sell the place to just move out - no buyers/viewings.

As my wife was coming in from the carpark today to she got knocked into the wall (she’s almost 5 months pregnant) by a junkie piece of scum from the local area, suffice to say, he was out of his head and falling everywhere and his girlfriend was no better. My wife is now even more terrified living in this hell hole.

I really just feel like giving it back and telling the council to feck themselves. Was onto them there about handing back the keys, and I got the usual response ‘I’ll call you back’ – bunch of jokers.

If I hand back the keys, what are the repercussions? I know I’ll get a red mark on my credit rating, what else?

Nathan , Sounds awful , Your pur wife ! And u of course , Would you not go to your local TD ? They will send a letter or call the council on your behalf and get some answers . I had to do this a while ago for a council matter and it was sorted within days ! ( Maybe so to a councilor who is on the council or has been on the council who will know some good contacts)

Hope this helps

Local TD's operate clinics in your area every week so just google the venue and times .
PG

Ok, so i just got onto the coucil out of curiousity about remortgaging my AH. This was there response:

Hi Emma

My colleague in the affordable housing section passed your query on to me.

The clawback on your property is only payable if you are either selling your house or going to re mortgage with a bank.
If you are going to do either of these things the clawback comes into effect.
If you sell your property – the clawback is calculated on the sale agreed price.
If you are going to re mortgage the clawback is calculated on the current market valuation. If you decide to do this you need to let us know as someone for our valuers department will come out and do a valuation on your property. We then work out the redemption figures and the clawback. If the valuation falls below the price you paid for the property there would be no clawback.

If you want to proceed you can let me know and I will arrange for the valuers to come out to you.
I would need the following details:
If you have a house/Apt
How many bedrooms
Square feet (if you know this)

If you need any more information my direct line is xxxxxxx

Regards

Rebecca

So, i take that it's only there one valuation that counts? Regardless if you get it done privatly and get a substantial difference?

Emma,

Would you mind sending me a PM with your contacts email address/Direct line. I have an affordable house and would like to buyout council ( Remortgage)

Hi Emma,

I was given the exact same information as you when I spoke to the council about remortgaging my affordable housing home. It seemed straight forward enough until they told me that I could only remortgage and pay off the clawback if I had my mortgage with them through the shared ownership scheme.

As I have my mortgage with a bank, I've been told that it is impossible for me to remortgage, full stop.

So just check this out with the council for yourself. I don't know what your position is but unfortunately I'd just say don't get your hopes up unless you're on the shared ownership scheme.

Affordable27.....from your previous posts, am I right in thinking that you are in the same position as myself? If you are and you get any further, would you mind letting me know so that I can take my case up again with DCC?

Thanks very much guys!

Hi Roe,

Yes I am in exactly the same position as yourself. I have emailed DCC today and will post my response when I receive it. I am also going to email a solicitor friend of mine to see if he can shed any light on this! Although nobody seems to be able to get a definative answer.

It's good that some of us are in the same position, as we can all try to push this forward...

i have my afforable home through shared owenership and it doesnt make any difference in buying them out.your still stuck with them.unless they come down in the valuation.and the bank will only give you what your apartment is worth so.the Ombudsman said to write into the council and get a written explanation in why this is happening with there valuation.so once you get your written explanation back from the council.you then write a letter into the Ombudsman and then they will take it from there.so i think if we all do out our letters and send them in the post to the dcc on a certin day we all agree.and then when we all get our explanations back from the dcc we all then send our letters with the explanations to the ombudsman.and see what happends then.so the people who are looking to buy out the council.well Remorgage. do you all think this is a good idea to do just a taught

hi kenzo,sounds like you're in the same situation as me..i have an affordable apt through the shared ownership scheme..if you're just looking to remortgage they passed something in the dail recently which will hopefully come into effect in a few months which allows you to remortgage without triggering the clawback..as long as you're not trying to sell that is..not sure if you know about this already but just in case..

Hi Guys,

I sent a fairly detailed query to DCC, following numerous unsatisfactory conversations with various officials from the council. Now it's no surprise that I still haven't received a reply, however, I have been on the phone to one particular individual in the law dept almost every day looking for this response and the latest update that I've received is that the senior executive officer over the housing department is putting together the response to my query. I expect to receive this today or Monday at the latest. When I do receive this response and if the response is not satisfactory (as I suspect will be the case), I fully intend to go straight to the Ombudsman with my case and/or a solicitor with experience in this area.

So yes I think that Kenzo's suggestion is definitely worth pursuing. Each of us should ensure that we send in a written request to DCC, seeking explanations (in writing), to our various queries. From there, you can then as Kenzo has suggested, take your case up with the Ombudsman, a solicitor or the Dept of the Environment.

Good luck

manunited no i didnt here about this have you got a copy of this that you can send to me if you can,im just going to send a straight forward letter short and sweet just looking for this explanation.

does anybody no who a title to were in the council is the best place to send this letter .somebody over afforable if possible

manunited sorry i was jut thinking there.are you talking about remorgageing through DCC or just through a bank.like i was remorgaging through a bank and thers no problem at all there.its the valuation with dcc there not useing the proper figures of the market value today so how can it be possible if tehre gona pass this .i dont understand like what are they gona pass.

Got a similar reply from DCC as Emma:

Hi

If you are going to re mortgage your apartment with a bank the clawback will have to be paid.
The clawback is calculated on the current market valuation of your property.
A member of staff from Dublin City Councils Valuers Department will come out to your apartment to value it.
When they give us the valuation we write out to you letting you know what is due to the City Council including any clawback due.

If you wish to go ahead with this you can let me know and I will arrange for the valuers to come out to your apartment.
I would need the following details
How many bedrooms you have
What floor you are on
Size of apt-sq feet (if you don’t know this that’s fine)

I hope this is of help to you

Regards

Back