Buying old cheap diesel car

Dumititi

Hi guys,
I am interested in buying an old and cheap diesel car because I will drive @ 6-7 hundred Km per week, route tax max. 400 per year, year of manufacture 2008 plus and with less than 250000 Km on the clock, maximum price 4000.
Favourite models would be the Skoda Superb, Hyundai I40, Ford Mondeo or possibly Mazda6, Opel Insignia and Passat, possibly from the middle category Octavia, Hyundai I30, Kia Ceed, Ford Focus.
Premium models exclude them because parts and service are much more expensive.
I would like some competent advice/suggestions about these models (or something similar but affordable) and the maintenance costs, I know that I will have expenses but it is a difference whether the part or the repair costs 300 or 700 because I will have a limited budget for the next 2-3 years , so I want something that if I set it up/fixed properly I can rely on it for at least three years.
Before the purchase, I will check the car on Carvertical and I will take a mechanic with me for a more competent check on the spot.

Thanks in advance for the advice and suggestions.

Regards,
Dumi

Maybe a corolla diesel from that era?
Also you are looking at €3000 to €4000 for fuel per year at that mileage depending on how economical your car is.

Personally I'd favour Toyota / Lexus / Honda over Opel / Passat / Ford for better reliability.

Before the purchase, I will check the car on Carvertical and I will take a mechanic with me for a more competent check on the spot.
They'll happily sell you an a check service but they don't have Irish car history data so you'd be better off using one that does.

Personally for comfort and economy I'd buy this. We have a Saab 93 as a 2nd car, same year and it's amazing on fuel economy, really solid on the road too. This one has much lower mileage, a good few years left in this.

Skoda superb all the way.

My husband has a 2016 Superb, bought it with 220k on the clock and full service history, now at 345kms, my husband is commuting Meath to Dublin daily, Meath to Portlaoise for family at weekends and Chinese deliveries twice a week too.
He has had to replace the flywheel on it but the only massive problem after that was trying to get a replacement drivers seat as something broke in it, other than that the car has been faultless.

Second hand car sales is my family bread and butter, once car has been serviced regularly miles are irrelevant. My neighbour as an 08 Skoda and he loves it can't bear to be parted from it.

You may have trouble getting insurance if the car is 15 years old.
Once my cars hit 15 years old, I was able to renew but couldn't change insurer.

I'm thinking of buying a vw Passat/cc or Skoda Superb 2.0 D manual from 2012+, with approx. 250K KM or less, any advice is appreciated, besides the regular 1 year service /10K what else needs to be checked/changed/ refurbished or serviced? I mean in particular the engine and gearbox, and how much does it cost approx. to put the car completely in order? Almost all the ads say that everything is perfect and everything is changed, etc. blah blah, but still I would like to get everything right from the beginning.
Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

I'm thinking of buying a vw Passat/cc or Skoda Superb 2.0 D manual from 2012+, with approx. 250K KM or less, any advice is appreciated, besides the regular 1 year service /10K what else needs to be checked/changed/ refurbished or serviced? I mean in particular the engine and gearbox, and how much does it cost approx. to put the car completely in order? Almost all the ads say that everything is perfect and everything is changed, etc. blah blah, but still I would like to get everything right from the beginning.
Thanks for the advice and suggestions.
The engine is pretty reliable without any major faults and should be good for 300K KM + if well maintained. Obviously check timing belt service / intervals. Note that the VW platform that both cars sit on has weak suspension links so expect to replace bushings / control arms etc.

Back