Buying London Stocks

T

totierne

[specifically Tesco]

I live/pay tax in Dublin, I want to minimise the cost (transaction/currency/fees/tax), like everyone else.
I have a U.S. stockbroker (for buying and selling medium amounts of stock in the U.S. company I work in) so I suppose I could buy American Depositary Receipts in Tesco (does anyone do that what is the hassle/cost/tax details?).

I thought this would be in 'Key Posts' but I did not see it. I suppose it comes down to picking a cheap stockbroker and doing it, and paying your 20% capital gains tax.

Thank you for your time,
Turloch

Not too sure what the point of your question is ? As Crumdub points out buying Tesco shares through Keytrade will cost you only a nominal amount anyway!
You can't avoid the 0.5% stamp duty in the UK

From wikipedia tesco is quoted on the Irish stock market as well.
'Tesco is listed on the London Stock Exchange under the symbol TSCO. It also has a secondary listing on the Irish Stock Exchange with the name TESCO PLC.'

I will look into the irish stockbroker costs next. I am not sure about tax and currency implications if I go outside the country. Then again maybe we all live in Euroland now.

Spread betting: If I read it right (and I have been wrong often before) www.deltaindex.ie costs 1 % (difference between buy and sell valuses) and you only need 20% of the share value, typically you would close your position if you lost 20% i.e. all you had put up up front. Too radical for me unless my neighbour reported getting lots of geared money from it :) .

Regards,
Turloch

Back